Six Sided Slim in Red Mallee Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenPal

PenPal

Using my own design Pen Mill previously shown on the forum spent some time whilst refurbing my workshop. The Timber is Red Mallee, this timber takes many forms and colours.

The finish was by hand with Sanding Sealer,Triple EEE, Polish.

Takes a while to make not a product to follow commercially but anyway I turn for pleasure.

Hope you like it Peter.

Attachments

• DSCF0008 [640x480].JPG
    DSCF0008 [640x480].JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Beautiful pen! It's an excellent 6 sided design. I do wish the centerband was in the bin, as I feel it takes away from your craftsmanship. That's a beauty of a burl cap there just begging for a pressure pot too!

tweetfaip

Excellent job on that pen! I really like how you turned some extra bands to break up the straight sides. The pen looks nicely proportioned and has nice presence to it.

mikegibs

Nice work! Pen looks great. The Red Mallee really has a lot of character. Like Jeff above, I wonder what it would look like without the center band...

Mike G.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Very nice Peter. I like the hex shape in wood. :biggrin: I think I would have tapered the hex down to the nib/finial rather than the step though. But that's just me:wink:

Cheers

Hosspen

Let's "Facet" that six sided pen is a winner! A great job with a great wood!

PenPal

Hi Again

On the 22/10/07 (Shops Jigs etc) I described the small lathe I gutted and fitted with my invention of an indexing, holding method and I recently modified it again and this was my first faceted pen since. Because I have been refurbishing my main workshop I got the idea to do one pen in the progress of the work, interesting how necessity is the mother of invention because I had relocated all 50 or so turning chisels and did the round shaping with a blunt Carpenters 5/8 inch wood chisel. Had a bad night wondering where my main chisels were but found them securely placed away from the refurb area the next morning.

My Metal Mill Drill is located alongside the VL100 Pen Lathe, so very convenient.I use a dedicated Drill for Pen Blanks and fitted a 1 HP motor to that, I must confess to a dislike of some genuine motors found in imported equipment and I replaced the bearings first up with quality bearings years ago when I bought the drill.

There are no mysteries in pens only variations and fun making and changing shapes, to me its the fun and satisfaction of sharing that matters. Proof of sharing on this forum appears all the time in Library articles and unselfishness of so many people. Thank you.

Peter.

Top Bottom