Silver Bullet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jyreene

jyreene

This one has been a long time in the works. I got the idea after making pens for a few years and coming to the IAP. Someone on here directed me to Mike at Silver Pen Parts for a custom clip. Seen here:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/custom-cigar-113243/

Well in the process I asked if he did other work and was willing to work with me on a bolt action because all the ones out there, as much as I like them, just didn't feel quite right with the action nor did they look quite right. After many emails back and forth Mike sent me the front section and the rear bolt section (and the clips!).

That was back in May. It has taken this long to not only find a blank that would do it justice but to get the blank fitted up.

The components are solid silver with a real .308 bullet drilled out and fitted up to the front. The blank is Mokume Gane. I was on the fence on this one. I have a three tone and a two tone and decided the two tone just fit it better. It's copper and nickel silver (or silver nickel, one of the two).

Once I got it all turned and fitter up it looked good but the Mokume did not look right anymore. So back to the webernet it was to find out how bring out the different metals. That lead me to dropping it in a jar of amonia and salt (smelled a whole lot like cat pee during a drive especially after someone spilled it on his pants). That helped but it wasn't enough so I just took it home and decided to wait on it. I took it to work and boom. The air, the oil from my hand, and time made it look great. Glad I finished this and can't wait to get back from deployment to update/upgrade this idea. Thanks again Mike for working with me. Thanks Jonathon for helping me work with a metal blank for the first time, helping me get good photos, and holding on to my metal lathe while I'm gone. Pics to follow in this and one more post.

These are with my camera and Jonathon's help.

These are with Jonathon's camera and none of my help (except to block some direct light...)

C&C welcome.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
This project was a great challenge. I also thought the original pen kits lacked the true feel of a rifle receiver and so we designed the receiver more like a rifle with the flats on the side and a bottom. The bolt on this pen moves in and out with the bolt handle and we built it on a sierra size tube. Did you even use a tube or just bore the Mokume blank to fit? I got carried away on the details beyond the original scope of the project but I tend to do that. You have a truly one of a kind pen Tyson. I wondered what kind of blank you would place with the kit the mokume is a great choice. You did a superb job of completing the pen.

Brooks803

It was an honor and a privilege to be a part of the process Ty.

Mike, your work on the components is amazing! The bolt setup on this was perfection. Now to do a similar setup but for a fountain pen where it ejects and inserts ink cartridges each time you maneuver the bolt!

Oh and on a side note....my pants still smell like cat pee :cat:

jyreene

wow. well done! i can see a lot of time and thought went into this

Thanks. It was quite the journey but I did not do it alone. Such great support and help from the members here.

This project was a great challenge. I also thought the original pen kits lacked the true feel of a rifle receiver and so we designed the receiver more like a rifle with the flats on the side and a bottom. The bolt on this pen moves in and out with the bolt handle and we built it on a sierra size tube. Did you even use a tube or just bore the Mokume blank to fit? I got carried away on the details beyond the original scope of the project but I tend to do that. You have a truly one of a kind pen Tyson. I wondered what kind of blank you would place with the kit the mokume is a great choice. You did a superb job of completing the pen.

I'm glad we were on the same page Mike. I just bored the Mokume to fit, well drilled since I don't know how to use a boring bar yet! Getting carrier away sure helped it look even more amazing. And don't forget the "ejection port"! Thanks for the kind words and support.

So very cool. Glad you finally got the pictures posted. Excellent pen and a great story that also highlights the value of IAP membership.

Marc

I couldn't agree more Dad. Thanks for pointing them out to me...or maybe I pointed them out to you! The IAP sure is a great group of people.
OUTSTANDING!!!!!!:bananen_smilies039: and yes I meant to shout.

Thanks Roy. I almost went with some Ceblo from you but decided it needed to be full metal. Maybe #2 or #3 will be that way! (I'll let you know Mike when I need some more awesome work!)

Great Craftsmanship,
A Complete New Dimension.
Congratulations to All,
Brian.

It was an honor and a privilege to be a part of the process Ty.

Mike, your work on the components is amazing! The bolt setup on this was perfection. Now to do a similar setup but for a fountain pen where it ejects and inserts ink cartridges each time you maneuver the bolt!

Oh and on a side note....my pants still smell like cat pee :cat:
Yes, yes you do! But also thanks for all the help and advice on how to get this thing finished the right way. That would be quite the pen...something we should work on when I get back! So that makes it what, idea #4 for this and idea #8947 of our other ones!

Excellent and professional job.

Thank you for your service to our country, be safe on your deployment

Regards
Don

Thanks Don. I've learned a lot from the bunch here and will continue to push my pen making beyond it's present state. I will be safe, thanks for your support.

All, thanks for the kind words and support. This is still just the beginning. Now it's time to learn how to cast metal like Mike or even CNC like PTownSubbie and a few others. Silver is just the start!

jyreene

jyreene

Anyone worked with Mokume before? I'm curious how I can get a better shine and contrast to it. And criticisms in the design or blank? I'm currently rolling ideas around with a friend on how to evolve this into version 2.0 and beyond and would greatly appreciate ideas or nudges in new/different/unvisited directions.

Of course I will not have anytime to work on it come Sunday for a while but I will be able to start drawing up plans and what not when I get free time.

jyreene

I knew I should have just PM'd you for that one Mike! Awesome stuff. I know I will be ordering from them to refinish this pen when I get back.

jyreene

It is Carl. And thanks to Mike when I get back it will look even better. Of course I'm glad I didn't know ahead if time because then Jonathon and my car wouldn't smell like cat pee!

Top Bottom