silicone for molds... what do i buy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

I was reading the library and it said to use acetic cure silicone i looked in the local stores for close to an hour today and found nothing any one know where i can find this or know of something that will work

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

I used GE Silicone II from Home Depot and it worked great.

Padre

I used GE Silicone II from Home Depot and it worked great. You can read this thread.

Shep

I had the same problem - nothing on the product tells you whether it is acetic cure or not. I called GE and told them I wanted silicone that was acetic cure and resistant to heat. They told me their Silicone I was acetic cure and resistant to temperatures up to 400 degrees. They also said it made no difference what color it was or whether it was marked door and window or kitchen and bath, all the "Silicone I" was the same. It seems to work fine.

Shep

leestoresund

I tried that. It made molds but I could not make them smooth (not that they really need to be smooth). In any case I was not really satisfied.

I know that the silicone tubes are dirt cheap. Takes about 2 tubes to make a reasonable sized mold so you can do it for less than $10.

But you can get Smooth-On Mold Max 30 (same stuff resin savers are made of) or Mold Max 40 (a little stiffer and green). www.smooth-on.com or www.theengineerguy.com. Cost is $25 from the engineer, haven't checked smooth-on. Enuff stuff to make one mold with 4 3/4 x 3/4 x 5.25 and one 7/8 x 7/8 x 5.25.

Doesn't smell like vinegar.

Just a thought.

Lee

soligen

I used GE silicon 1 door and window. Took 2 tubes to make a mold with 4 individual blank cavities. 1 tube to make a mold with 2 individual blank cavities. YMMV depending how thick you walls are.

You can save a little resin if you make your form each cavity is rounded on the bottom, or there is a tutotial in the library on making a fully round horizontal mold.

ALso, there is a tutorial that says to line you mold negative with plastic wrap. I had much better results using a few good coats of paste wax

rjwolfe3

leestoresund

Jack
Smooth-On sells Mold Max 30 (it's pink and feels just like the resin saver I bought from you) is $91/gallon. Mold Max 40 is green and a little firmer. Same price.

The trial size is 2 lbs and less than 1 quart for $25.

They have a distributor in Brighton MA.

Lee

leestoresund

jack, having spent this week making molds to demonstrate at our regional meeting this weekend I can tell you this is not something I want to do on a regular basis.
With your 2 resin savers and my 5 rectangular molds I should be set for a while.
But it has been interesting.

Lee

RyanNJ

I picked up some 100% silicone and made up a mold today
I plan to get corks and drill them to insert in the tube. Then I will run a wire through the silicone of the mold and the cork and hope it does not leak

Top Bottom