Silicone cups/Pendant Mold

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

capcrnch

This weekend I went on a hunt for a silicone muffin pan.
I searched 7 stores and none of them had one (Target, Meijer, Walmart, Kitchen Collection, etc)..

I was able to find a set of individual muffin cups, but they all had the accordion style ridges around the perimeter...

Where did everyone get their muffin cups?

Also a related question.. When you pour your pendants, how thick do you pour? About a 1/2"?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

capcrnch

Just to clarify, I believe this is what I want:
silicone-muffin-pan.jpg

This is all I could find:

muffin-pan-250x250.jpg

DurocShark

I found mine at a discount outlet, cost me about $3. I will take a look next time I go to the store and if they have any I will grab a couple more.

Like Pic'N'Save or whatever it's called now (Big Lots?) Hadn't thought to look there. I keep looking at regular stores. I found 'em at the grocery store but they were $15 a piece. Still cheap in the grand scheme of things, but too rich for my blood.

witz1976

Yea something like that...Big Lots, up in Maine we got a place called Marden's but any outlet store that buy random stuff at large quantities should have it. Heck I even found a ton at the Salvation Army Outlet once (this was before I was even looking for them).

I'll stop by where I found mine and post a price later tonight. If there is interest I will pick up a bunch and mail them out.

alphageek

Former Moderator
capcrnch said:
I searched 7 stores and none of them had one (Target, Meijer, Walmart, Kitchen Collection, etc)..

I was able to find a set of individual muffin cups, but they all had the accordion style ridges around the perimeter...

Also a related question.. When you pour your pendants, how thick do you pour? About a 1/2"?

Thanks!

Since no one answered the thickness question, here goes:

My personal preference is just over 1/2 inch. That is big enough for better swirl, then I cut them in half which gets a better surface for mounting. I also cut corian samples in half too.

This method requires comfort with a bandsaw, so use appropriate caution.

rjwolfe3

Never thought to cut corian in half but makes sense - less waste!

capcrnch said:

Thanks!

My personal preference is just over 1/2 inch. That is big enough for better swirl, then I cut them in half which gets a better surface for mounting. I also cut corian samples in half too.

Brooks803

Dang Rich, you shoulda told me you turned pendants too. When I make my blanks I always have extra I pour into some molds for pendants. I woulda put some in your last package of blanks!

PTownSubbie

Well, you can make larger pours in normal plastic or paper cups. Then cut them on your bandsaw or part them off on your lathe.

The large size gives good ability to swirl the colors.

As for size. I like for the PR pendants to be close to 3/16"-1/4" because if you get smaller than that it can become flimsy feeling and could become opaque if the coloring is not strong enough.

I do as others have posted. I made a jig to cut a 1/2" piece of corian in half to get 2 pendants that are approx 3/16" each. Smaller sizes in corian is fine because it is strong and doesn't give a flimsy feel when thinned.

rjwolfe3

Can I see a pic of your jig. I have an idea but want to make sure it is kosher. If I poured 1/2" round molds, what would be a safe way to split those?

Well, you can make larger pours in normal plastic or paper cups. Then cut them on your bandsaw or part them off on your lathe.

As for size. I like for the PR pendants to be close to 3/16"-1/4" because if you get smaller than that it can become flimsy feeling and could become opaque if the coloring is not strong enough.

I do as others have posted. I made a jig to cut a 1/2" piece of corian in half to get 2 pendants that are approx 3/16" each. Smaller sizes in corian is fine because it is strong and doesn't give a flimsy feel when thinned.

Hucifer

I found mine at a discount outlet, cost me about $3. I will take a look next time I go to the store and if they have any I will grab a couple more.

Like Pic'N'Save or whatever it's called now (Big Lots?) Hadn't thought to look there. I keep looking at regular stores. I found 'em at the grocery store but they were $15 a piece. Still cheap in the grand scheme of things, but too rich for my blood.

You can also try Ross, Marshalls, and Burke Outlet. These kind of stores turn their stuff over all the time so keep checking. I need to get some myself. The ones I have I actually use to bake muffins in - go figure...

capcrnch

Dang Rich, you shoulda told me you turned pendants too. When I make my blanks I always have extra I pour into some molds for pendants. I woulda put some in your last package of blanks!

Well, technically I don't really. Im starting to get more requests which is what made me ask. I thought of it after I already received your blanks. Or, my wife thought of it when she said "that would look good as a pendant"..

capcrnch

Exactly what I was thinking!

PTownSubbie

Can I see a pic of your jig. I have an idea but want to make sure it is kosher. If I poured 1/2" round molds, what would be a safe way to split those?

Rob,

I cut the corian with the jig. I will try to get a pic and post it. If you don't see it in a day or two, poke me and ask me again. I have no problems showing it.

However, I don't think there is a safe way other than parting the cup pours on your lathe with a thin kerf parting tool. I have tried and tried to cut them with the bandsaw and every time due to the cup angle it catches and ends up on the floor with a chunk out of it. It just got too dangerous that I started putting them in my chuck jaws and parting them off there.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Here is a picture of how I do it....

Warning! Don't do this unless you know what you are doing!!! Just cause it works for me doesn't mean it's safe for you!

I have another one made the "leg" behind that pushes toward the blade at a different angle for pours.

Oh and I hold it differently when one hand isn't on a camera :)

Attachments

• image-591165267.jpg
    image-591165267.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 117

rjwolfe3

I was fooling around today and I think made a safe one. Nothing fancy, just took a piece of 2x4 and cut out a piece that the corian will fit in and then split it on the bandsaw. Haven't tried a round piece yet but should work too. If nothing else I can use a piece of double sided tape to make it safer. Thanks for the great idea. Now I can get two for the price of one.

Rob,

I cut the corian with the jig. I will try to get a pic and post it. If you don't see it in a day or two, poke me and ask me again. I have no problems showing it.

However, I don't think there is a safe way other than parting the cup pours on your lathe with a thin kerf parting tool. I have tried and tried to cut them with the bandsaw and every time due to the cup angle it catches and ends up on the floor with a chunk out of it. It just got too dangerous that I started putting them in my chuck jaws and parting them off there.

Here is a picture of how I do it....

Warning! Don't do this unless you know what you are doing!!! Just cause it works for me doesn't mean it's safe for you!

I have another one made the "leg" behind that pushes toward the blade at a different angle for pours.

Oh and I hold it differently when one hand isn't on a camera :)

Top Bottom