Sierra Vista

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from joefyffe

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Sierra Vista Black TG/TG, Adorned with another of my Hand Cast PR blanks. This one is two colors of Gold Mica. Comments and Criticism appreciated. It helps us grow up to be better penmakers! :wink::) And, Thanks for Looking!

Attachments

• Antique and Rustic Gold Sierra Vista1.jpg
    Antique and Rustic Gold Sierra Vista1.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 251
  • Antique and Rustic Gold Sierra Vista2.jpg
    Antique and Rustic Gold Sierra Vista2.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 222
  • Antique and Rustic Gold Sierra Vista3.jpg
    Antique and Rustic Gold Sierra Vista3.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 263
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ironman123

That is a very nice blank (have you named it?). Good looking pen.

I could use a blank like that. ??????

Ray

Last edited:

Jjartwood

I love the clean look.
The blank is verrrrry tastefully done and suits the pen.
The down side,you should have made 100 of the blanks so the rest of us
could get one :)
Mark

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Thanks ALL for your comments and for any more that may come. I enjoy casting, but I am very slow and still have not been overly consistent. My casts truly are "one of a kind" :frown: I don't intend to go "production" at this point, but I am beginning to keep better records of mixes with pictures of the turned blanks as well as giving, the really nice ones, names. I guess I'll go with "The Prospector" on this one with it being GOLD. :biggrin: :biggrin:

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
Awesome colors. Homemade blanks are always great. Where did you get the pen kit at?
Donny: I'm not sure on the kit, it is the Sierra Vista. The Wallstreet III from woodcraft is a knock off or visa versa, but I prefer the Sierra. I usually buy my Sierras from Berea Hardwood, including the Elegant Beautys.

Last edited:

alphageek

Former Moderator
Donny: I'm not sure on the kit, it is the Sierra Vista. The Wallstreet III from woodcraft is a knock off or visa versa, but I prefer the Sierra. I usually buy my Sierras from Berea Hardwood, including the Elegant Beautys.

Actually, neither one is a knock off - they are the same pen. Woodcraft likes to sell under a unique name.. For example, their Hancock is Constants desire kit... The Wallstreet III is actually Bereas Sierra Vista.

It actually works out to be really nice that way... You can buy from one of the Berea resellers if you have time, or pay a little more and get it from woodcraft (if you have one local and you are in a hurry).

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam

Actually, neither one is a knock off - they are the same pen. Woodcraft likes to sell under a unique name.. For example, their Hancock is Constants desire kit... The Wallstreet III is actually Bereas Sierra Vista.

It actually works out to be really nice that way... You can buy from one of the Berea resellers if you have time, or pay a little more and get it from woodcraft (if you have one local and you are in a hurry).

Dean: With all due respect, unless one or the other has made some changes, since my last purchase of both, they are NOT the same kit. Perhaps Woodcraft could be buying from Berea and Berea, I suppose, could be buying from two different manufacturers, though I doubt that also, but there is a difference in the lower barrel of the two pens. I refuse to buy the Wallstreet III because of it. The transmission carrier on the Sierra is 12 mm in length, whereas on the WSIII it is only 2.5 mm in length. It just seems to me that this would cause the Sierra cap and transmission to attach with less slop and more structural rigidity. See attached photo. I have the lower barrels laying on the packs they were in.

Attachments

• _DSC8606 copy.jpg
    _DSC8606 copy.jpg
    48.1 KB · Views: 96

alphageek

Former Moderator
Dean: With all due respect, unless one or the other has made some changes, since my last purchase of both, they are NOT the same kit. Perhaps Woodcraft could be buying from Berea and Berea, I suppose, could be buying from two different manufacturers, though I doubt that also, but there is a difference in the lower barrel of the two pens. I refuse to buy the Wallstreet III because of it. The transmission carrier on the Sierra is 12 mm in length, whereas on the WSIII it is only 2.5 mm in length. It just seems to me that this would cause the Sierra cap and transmission to attach with less slop and more structural rigidity. See attached photo. I have the lower barrels laying on the packs they were in.

My guess is that you have 2 different generations of product there... I've had both the long and short of them but I don't have any in packages at the moment to check which came from where for me.

You could be right that they have split off of some of them to make their own - I'm sure their product agreements are a complicated thing.

However, what I said about woodcraft and berea is true - there is some kind of tie, but I don't know the exact details of course. When a new product is released by Berea, woodcraft gets another named version of the same thing. I know this because I watch woodcraft to get my hands on them before choosing to wait for a web order. They are released too close together to be a clone or coincidence. Examples: princeton=virage and there is the triton and reinhart (why they kept the berea name on those and not others I don't know).

All that being said... back to regular scheduled programming... you asked for comments and criticism - I see NOTHING to critique on the pen, it looks great. The only constuctive comment I'd make is to consider something other than white (or tone down the contrast?) for the background - it tends to highlight the fringing and feels more "harsh" to the eye IMO unless you can get the expose just right.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam

My guess is that you have 2 different generations of product there... I've had both the long and short of them but I don't have any in packages at the moment to check which came from where for me.

You could be right that they have split off of some of them to make their own - I'm sure their product agreements are a complicated thing.

However, what I said about woodcraft and berea is true - there is some kind of tie, but I don't know the exact details of course. When a new product is released by Berea, woodcraft gets another named version of the same thing. I know this because I watch woodcraft to get my hands on them before choosing to wait for a web order. They are released too close together to be a clone or coincidence. Examples: princeton=virage and there is the triton and reinhart (why they kept the berea name on those and not others I don't know).

All that being said... back to regular scheduled programming... you asked for comments and criticism - I see NOTHING to critique on the pen, it looks great. The only constuctive comment I'd make is to consider something other than white (or tone down the contrast?) for the background - it tends to highlight the fringing and feels more "harsh" to the eye IMO unless you can get the expose just right.

10-4 on that Dean: It was giving me fits with my post processing software and when I checked, I had my WLB set for incandescent. What a Dummy! I measured my Kelvin with my Expodisk, and changed the white background from white to gray and I think I'm in the ball park now! Thanks for all the help! I'm getting ready to post a couple more new ones with the current set up. Check them, please, and let me know what your think! Appreciate!

I think the Triton and the Rinehart are very different pens. One is line a nut and the other is round and has bling on it. I make both and they are not the same pen!

alphageek

Former Moderator
I think the Triton and the Rinehart are very different pens. One is line a nut and the other is round and has bling on it. I make both and they are not the same pen!

They are very different... I must not have phrased that well... I meant that Woodcraft and Berea both carry the Triton and Rinehart... but that Woodcraft didn't change the name like they did with some other kits.

Top Bottom