Sierra Pink Ivory with CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Drudgery1971

Drudgery1971

Pen #7 of my new hobby. Tried CA again with somewhat better results. Still don't have it down yet. Simple pen but clean. #6 got chucked into a box - was striped Ebony and looked fantastic - until I cracked the barrel putting the end on. Oh well - live and learn. Need to look into that photo thread next and also sharpening tools. Good couple hours of relaxation. Have a nice weekend. -- Andy

Attachments

• P1010028.jpg
    P1010028.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 231
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TimS124

Tap out the pressed-in fittings for #6, put it back on your lathe, hit the crack with some CA, polish it back up, and use it for yourself. I think of those as "humility pens" which help keep me grounded (and/or periodically frustrated). :)

#7 looks well done.

OZturner

Andy, Now that one is a Keeper for sure.
Nice fit and finish, one I would be proud to claim.
Do you think that you might be generating too much heat in your sanding?
That will cause hard timbers like Ebony to split.
Congratulations.
Brian.

Drudgery1971

Andy, Now that one is a Keeper for sure.
Nice fit and finish, one I would be proud to claim.
Do you think that you might be generating too much heat in your sanding?
That will cause hard timbers like Ebony to split.
Congratulations.
Brian.

Thanks Brian and everyone. Yes you are right.... It got way too hot sanding and finishing it. I only looked at the CA instructions on rpm speed after I chucked it in the box. I will pull it back out and put it back on lathe and try and CA it into shape. My girls are only 6 and 8 and would love it. Appreciate all the info and support. Take care all.

edstreet

FYI many cracks are due to burrs on the lip of the brass tube. If you take some very fine grit sandpaper and rub over them, or even use a tapered reamer or something similar and remove that then cracks on assembly will be greatly reduced. Also the inside of the tube *MUST* be very clean.

Top Bottom