Sierra pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Stephen

I turned some Sierra pen blanks and in my attempt to show the features of the blanks did them too large. More towards the shape of an egg.Result heavy and unsightly. Saw several pens displayed in the SOYP and realised my pens were out of proportion. Could someone tell what is the normal diameter size of the blank center to get a a good proportional Sierra. I suppose taper more towards the nib than the cap end? If so do I start the tapers from the centre or lean more towards the nib side.Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tea Clipper

I make mine nearly B2B with just a hint of a curve to them. It's subtle but it's there.

20085153040_sierra.jpg

Copper Black Ash Burl Sierra

Texatdurango

I agree that some pens look nicer when turned bushing to bushing. What I do is turn the blank until the entire cylinder is almost flush with the bushings then leaving the center alone I work from the center to the ends which gives me a very, very slight arch in then middle.

Russianwolf

I agree with the others mostly. The only exceptions I've followed have been when I was trying to achieve something specific. Like on this one, I wanted to leave just a bit if the sapwood for contrast. It made the pen rather big, but I got a nice surprise in it too. The faces in the sapwood.

200851162831_Araslaya.jpg

jskeen

I agree, the sierra is not the pen to practice your whoop-de-doo's on. That said, a ruler straight B to B pen tends to actually look concave when assembled on most kits that have some curve to the nib and end caps, so I usually build in a slight bulge, never measured, just by eye though.

mick

I hope he doesn't mind, but take a look at Alamocdc's album. He really puts an interesting twist on Sierra shapes. I've shamelessly copied him several times.....lol

Top Bottom