Sierra Elegent issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Andrew_K99

I made my wife a Sierra Elegent and tonight she brought it to me with an issue. The lower barrel, in this case satin, rotates freely and makes it hard to open/close, you have to hold the nib or trim ring.

Anyone know if there is a fix?

Thanks,
Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

I beleive these are glued together. Just knock it apart and use a little epoxy. I have seen it happen on a plain ole Sierra where the black seperates from the tip.

jmbaker79

Andrew I'm having the same issue with a wall st black and chrome. Were you able to get it apart and if so did you just use a punch and some effort?

Andrew_K99

I have yet to take it apart. I still have a few kits so I just stole the lower section for now. It certainly looks like it will be a pain to do it without damaging anything.

You may have to post a thread to see if anyone has dismantled a sierra type lower barrell.

Let us know how you make out.

AK

jmbaker79

Thanks Andrew, bout to take a hammer to this one! Hoping to be able to replace it with a different material...Let ya know soon!

jmbaker79

Took almost no effort to knock out the tip with a punch, slightly smaller than .25". looks like it would be simple to just glue back in place, and no damage was done. As far as replacing that piece with a matching wood blank....not sure, that piece is super thin and different diameters on each end. its in the works, and will post photos once I make it happen!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Not all sierras are made the same, internally, on the nose.

My point is, if you make a new front for it, cut the old one in half so you have the cross-section and can make a replacement that will work.

jmbaker79

Not all sierras are made the same, internally, on the nose.

My point is, if you make a new front for it, cut the old one in half so you have the cross-section and can make a replacement that will work.

Ed thanks for the input! not sure i quite follow the cutting in half idea. Brief description of what didnt work..twice... I punched out the tip and the tube that connected it to the center band. drilled it through to accommodate the tip OD and countersunk the centerband end, which is obviously much larger. I discarded the tube as I dont think i could turn a blank that thin on the tip end. They keep blowing out on me as they get so thin....They were very close to working, yet need some tweaks im sure. I will make it happen another day!

Andrew_K99

The same thing has happened with the replacement!

This is rather annoying as I bought another 10 recently and don't know if I want to make them.

Mike or Ed ... has anyone else noted this to either of you?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I have sold thousands of sierras and about a half dozen have had this issue. I just send a replacement "front end" now, since they are VERY SIMPLE to replace.

No particular plating, just one in several hundred seem not to work.

Don't know if any of the guys have made the "broken" one work with the correct choice of adhesives.

Andrew_K99

Hmmm .... strange. These two were from the same order. The satin section starts rotating freely.

Guess I'll see how hard it is to take them apart to ensure they'll never do this. Glad I didn't give them away yet.

longbeard

Had a Wall St. II from WC do the same thing, the fancy band on it was loose also, took it apart and used a tiny spot of CA, hav'nt had a problem with it since. Thats been about 4 to 6 weeks ago.

Top Bottom