Shrinking acrylic?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

m.wienstroer

I recently turned my first acrylic pen. Everything appeared to be fine until I pulled it off the lathe after polishing. At each end, the brass tube was sticking out about 1/32" past the acrylic.

I have never had this problem when turning wood. Did I overheat the pen and shrunk the acrylic? I don't think it was brass expansion even after sitting for a week (should have cooled of by then) the brass never changed length.

Has anyone seen this before?

Thanks,
Mike

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
Don't know about shrinkage, but i've disfigured a few from overheating while sanding. That's why i wet sand only now on acrylics.

David M

That is a new one on me. never had acrylic to srink. the only thing i can think of is if , using a cutter the tube went under the cutting head leaving a small lip of tube. if it was flat / smooth with the blank i have no ideal . is it sticking out from both ends?.

David

chriselle

Yep, it's real. I've had it happen on several acrylics over the past few years. I wet sand and am always cautious on not getting the blanks too warm. Don't know why but acrylic does in fact shrink.

Top Bottom