Shopsmith

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MDWine

Cleanup is one thing for sure, if that is all there is to it, definitely worth $100. As Mr.Vic pointed out, a total refurb or replacing a motor is a different matter completely. I got mine new about 1990's (gonna look it up too), and the machine is quite versatile. I like mine a lot!

randyrls

Maybe;
1. Does the motor run?

2. Open the port in the back of the head stock and look in at the quadrant gear. Is the gear is intact with no broken teeth?

3. Are the horizontal tubes shiny with no rust?

4. Don't move the speed control unless the motor is turning. With the motor turning, can you ramp the speed control up and down?

If all these questions can be answered yes, then worth it, if not likely more expensive to repair that it is worth.

You can get a used SS in good condition for $600 to $800.

You can post a link to any ad?

Whitehat1994

On the headstock (motor) should be information indicating the year it was manufactured. I bought a 1996 model ( Mark V 520) for $650. It had no rust, a bandsaw, joiner, all tools for Tablesaw, turning tools, castors, table saw blades, extended table for table saw, removable safety on/off switch, and a ton of other woodworking assessories (non shopsmith related). I didn't get any manuals.
If you google "buying a used shopsmith" you will get information on what to look for when buying a used shopsmith. I highly recommend using it, wished I had known about the information before purchased, although I would have still purchased my SS.
It has been a great tool for me. I've made many pens on it and venturing into larger projects.

Top Bottom