Shop vac, or dust collector, for use during pen turning/sanding

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

Howdy all,

I'm probably going to be re-vamping the way my lathe and stuff is set up. I want to set this up so that as much of the dust/shavings as possible are sucked up as I turn or sand.

I already have a good strong shop vac with a 14g capacity (something like a "5hp peak"). This would probably work fine but I'm afraid that this much use might burn it up. It might run, more or less, for a couple hours at a time.

Would I be better off buying a 1hp dust collector? It would be a $200 cost but I know these stand up to long-term marathon use very well.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chasper

I had been burning out a Shop Vac in about 12-15 months, I went through two of them. I bought a Rigid Shop Vac and it has lasted 18 months now, plus it comes with a lifetime warranty.

I sometimes run it for 8 hours a day but I don't think it is the long periods us use that damage them, it is the dust that gets through to the motor.

nava1uni

I have been using a Rigid shop vac for the past three years and I have used a Clear Vue with it and very little dust in my shop or the surrounding area. The shop vac gets very little material in it, I use a Hepa filter and most of the waste goes into the container, which gets emptied every few weeks. I also have a 1 1/2 hp Shop Fox dust collector, but I like the shop vac set-up much better and it is not as loud as the bigger dust collector.

lorbay

I have been using a Rigid shop vac for the past three years and I have used a Clear Vue with it and very little dust in my shop or the surrounding area. The shop vac gets very little material in it, I use a Hepa filter and most of the waste goes into the container, which gets emptied every few weeks. I also have a 1 1/2 hp Shop Fox dust collector, but I like the shop vac set-up much better and it is not as loud as the bigger dust collector.
Pm me with some pic's of your set up please.

Lin.

bradh

Another big difference is noise. With the shop vac you will not hear the tool cutting, or even the phone ringing! A good dust collector is much quieter.

witz1976

I am curious what dust collector have you been looking at? I ask because every DC I have seen work is at least 1/2 the noise of the shop vac.

redfishsc

The dust collectors I've used were mostly the 1 hp floor models, and the 2hp upright bag models.

All of them (Grizzly, Jet, Shop Fox, and Woodtec) were not as harsh sounding as a big shop vac. I'm not sure I'd say quieter, but definitely not as harsh.

Problem is.... all those nice dust collectors belong to my employer and not ME:frown: so I need to buy my own for my pen turning shop.

My shop vac is hideously loud, but very strong.

Wildman

I have a HF dust collector (loud) with hose running to Shop Fox Duct Collector Stand behind the lathe. There are cheaper and better alternatives to that stand.

I am more concerned with dust collection whether turning or sanding. Depending upon what am turning can adjust the stand to pick up some chips but not all. It does a great job of dust collecting. I do sweep up chips after finishing for the day and go over area with shop-vac.

Floor Dust Collector Stand
http://www.ptreeusa.com/dustacces.htm#465

I got mine from Penn State Ind; don't see that stand in their catalog anymore.

I also have a 16-gallon shop-vac, use when drilling on the lathe for chip removal and shop clean- up. One hand turns tailstock wheel in and out, other holds shop-vac nozzle to remove chips. I have the filter and bags in my shop-vac.

I could not live without either piece of gear.

This what I use for dust collector.

http://www.wynnenv.com/35A_series_cartridge_kit.htm

Last edited:

redfishsc

Using the shop vac when you're drilling on the lathe will also probably do you double duty by cooling the drill bit some. Good thinking and I believe I'll be doing the same. I only drill on the lathe.

BruceK

I agree with what Cindy said. I use a Fein Turbo III shop vac combined with a Oneida Dust Deputy. Chose the Fein due to the low dB as I was tired of the Craftsman shop vac that made my ears bleed. I got the shop vac in April 2008. I haven't had to change the filter bag on the Fein yet, the Oneida separator works that good.

I also have a 1.5hp Steel City DC with a wynn filter when I really want to suck up the chips, but I use the shop vac combo about 90% of the time.

DurocShark

My poorman's rig:

http://blog.woodscrub.info/2010/09/dust-collection-at-lathe.html

dclathe2.jpg

Skye

I was eyeballing my 280mph (or some such number) electric leafblower and was thinking.... (should have gotten an extended warranty)

Top Bottom