Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than 20

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dubdrvrkev

Lately its been directly related to temperature. Not too mention I've been working on [gasp] flatwork, but its to support my turning habit. So I'll have to vote for an average.

jckossoy

With my life being so hectic lately, if I get more than 5 hours a week in the shop, I'm lucky. Plus, I may be selling my house and moving closer to my synagogue (1.35 mi down to .2 mi)[:D]. It will make life easier on Shabbos. And the garage has a separate heating unit so I could have my workshop in the garage[:D].

Kol Tov,

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by Dario
<br />Does this include all prep work? I mean, I mill my own pen blanks too should that count?
Of course milling your own blanks counts!
you have a choice to buy a ready made blank and get started with drilling tubing milling.
If you mill your own wood blanks, csat your own resins whatever is needed to turn raw material into a pen should count.I even counted time trying to come up with different ideas for laminating, materials,methods techniqes.
The the physical turning of the pen on the lathe is a mechanical excercise.
Even the finishing aspect can get to be mechanical when you start doing things by instinct learned from experience.
I can be working on a pen while watching TV or standing in the shower.
Lou and I make pens on the phone all the time.

tinker

I also spend more time on other projects. The pens are during glue ups or other down time while in the shop. I also have other activities that keep me out of the shop more than I would like. I am retired, but sometimes wonder how I ever had time to work a full time job.
I get about 20 hours in the shop during the week. With the heat and humidity I take a lot of cool off breaks.

mrcook4570

I am lucky - at least during the summer months. I get as much shop time as I want, when fishing doesn't interfere anyway [:D]. So for now, I'm in the more than 20 category. Once school starts back, that job thing gets in the way [:p].

ashaw

6 months ago I was in the 20+ hours a week. Due to an illness I am just getting back into the shop. I also scroll saw as well a turn I had to make a clock for the picnic this year so I was working on that. Hopefully by September I will be back to make pens like I was six months ago.

MDWine

last nite, ZERO!!!

Thunderstorms took our power from 6 to 8, no shop time at all... I could hear that persimmon calling to me, but it's too dark down there without power!

alamocdc

I hadn't really thought about it before, but I'd guess I'm in the 10 - 20 range so that's how I answered. It seems that's all I do with my free time these days. I'm just slow. Sometimes I hate being a perfectionist.

woodwish

I probably get to spend and average of 10-20 hours per week in the shop, not bad for a full time teacher, taking courses 1 night a week, teaching another course on another night, and a big fan of high school sports where I teach. But to be honest I probably only spend 10% of my time making pens instead of other stuff. [^]

Bill Collier

It depends on whether I have a large pen order. I often get orders of between 25 to 100 pens. I use any other free time to cut blanks and post them for sale. In all, I spend about 25 to 30 hours a week on these activities. I would spend more but I also have a very busy full time job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom