Shop Storage - What worked, what didn't

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

I'm at a time after my last show next weekend where i can begin my next push to get my shop completed. I bought stainless steel workbench tops to use in a couple of places. I'm researching french cleat storage to get ideas what to do to the walls. I have new benches planned to provide storage as needed.

So here's the question.....

What did you do to your shop that worked well for you? What didn't work so well and how would you change it? I already started one path and now backtracking because I believe I can do better than I originally planned.

Show pictures. They're worth a lot more than words sometimes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RBcarving

No pics, but this is simple easy...
I ran heavy pegboard around the entire shop from 3' high to 7' high. Ive always liked everything hanging up so it is easy to see & grab when I need it. Yes, things get a little dusty, but we just blow everything off with the compressor once a week and its all good.

Also, lumber racks.

Brad

Old Codger

Sorry Rick, no photos... If you are designing 'the' shop... #1 have enough power available (i.e.; plenty of 15 amp ckt brkrs in your breaker box dedicated to your shop). #2 Have the outlets placed every 4' - 6' and alternate between brkrs so you don't overload ever! #3 Install pwr poles with outlets in the middle of the shop so you NEVER have to run dangerous extension cords $4 Allow for 150% storage space (you'll eventually use it!). #4 Add 150% lighting...never, ever enough lighting... I could go on and on, but you should get the idea...plan for a HUGE shop and you won't regret it in a SMALL shop...adjust to fit your budget of course, but remember, you'll eventualy spend the $$ to adjust later... I KNOW, BECAUSE I AM STILL DOING IT!!! :>)

beck3906

The shop structure itself is already complete. I won't be changing that part. What I am looking for are good suggestions to best utilize the wall space and and any cabinets I need to build.

I'm looking for the best thoughts on how to store tools. How to create a working shop where things can be found and replaced with ease.

I really want to avoid peg board. I don't like the metal hangers pulling loose when something is removed. I know they make the clips to hold the hanger in place, but I'm still trying to avoid peg board.

So, what suggestions can you offer?

I'm watching a few threads on The Garage Journal board and gotten several ideas there.

Justturnin

I placed an ad on CL for cabinets and picked up a 4 year old kitchen full of cabinets already removed for $100. I could not have built a quarter of what I got myself. Before they went up I Insulated, ran plugs every 2', Installed six two bulb 4' Florescent fixtures, dedicated circuit for the DC and ran a switch for it by the door (small shop so a remote was not worth it) and ran a dedicated circuit for my Metal lathe. Then I installed the cabinets. There were four 42" uppers that I stacked on each other and made a little pantry type storage then I ran two separate sections of lowers and used the remaining uppers. Over one section of lowers all Peg Board. I have one other 7' long wall that will also see peg board on the upper 3'. I ran two 12" x 8' shelves on top of each other as well. That is where I currently am and trying to get everything back in the shop w/out it becoming a total mess again (failing though). My shop has a Napoleon complex. It is a 10x20 but thinks it is a 40x40.......

Dave Turner

I've purchased two rolling tool chests (both older Craftsman models), one with 6 drawers, the other with 5. On one I keep my planer and the chest stores most of my smaller tools. On the other I have my slow speed grinder and a Worksharp and the drawers hold my lathe accessories and tablesaw accessories. This has worked out extremely well for me. I plan to purchase another 16 drawer cabinet from Harbor Freight ($300 coupon) which was rated half decent, to store a lot of my pen making supplies.

I have a small 10 x 15 foot shop and these rolling carts work out very well for me. I'm in the process of building cabinets for one wall (should have bought used ones - but it's a learning experience). My workbench is 6 feet by 2 1/2 feet which is a perfect size for me. Lets me keep several benchtop machines on top (drill press, buffer, belt sander, oscillating spindle sander) but still have room to work on the front part of the bench. I wish I had multiple drawers under my workbench. Maybe a future project. Another future project is building storage for under my lathe.

I built a 3 1/2 x 2 1/2 foot tabletop that clamps into my Black & Decker Workmate with adjustable height. I can use it as an outfeed table for my bandsaw or my tablesaw. It works great in the higher position as a standing workstation when assembling pens. I just put a towel on it to cushion the parts.

randyrls

Rick; Just the last week I saw an episode of "The Woodsmith Shop" on PBS. They had a pegboard storage layout, but with a difference. Locate two pieces of angle iron horizontally on the wall. The 2' x 4' pegboard was wrapped in 3/4" edge banding and a pin inserted in the the opposing edges. The pins are sized to fit in the holes of the angle iron. Now the pegboard pieces can be put in the angle iron holes rather like the pages in a book. When not in use the pegboard pages can be laid flat against the wall and both sides of the pegboard can be used.

Hope this helps.

ElMostro

Avoid open shelving on walls and under benches. Storage on walls should have doors and any storage space under benches should be on heavy duty, full extension drawers slides. I am in the process of re-doing all of my storage bec all the open storage has become dust covered and all the storage space below the work benches became a pile of inaccessible "stuff". I cannot recall what exactly I have there and even if I know I have it it's easier to buy new than to have to sift through the mess to find what I am looking for.

I already redid some of the areas how I want them and the drawers make it so much easier to reach stuff under he benches without having to empty half the shelf to get to the stuff in the back. Make adjustable inserts for the drawers so you can change/adjust later as needed.

Also, once you decide on your set-up...it may be fine for now BUT eventually (tool addition, new way of doing things) you will want/need to move stuff around so built-ins are a no-no (for me), make sure you can relocate stuff.

Last edited:

PaulDoug

All the stands and cabinets in my shop are from recycled kitchen and bathroom cabinets, including my lathe stand, router table, planer stand, scroll saw stand and disk/belt sander stand. These were well built cabinets from the 40's. All free for hauling the off. Even if I don't have a current need, I pick them up and tear them down to get the plywood out of them. You cannot buy that good of plywood anymore at any price. The hardest part, maybe not hard but time consuming is stripping the 5 or 6 layers of paint off! But a heat gun does a nice job of it. The only expense involved is screws (I screw everything together, been know to want to take things apart and redo), paint and casters.

I would think the French Cleat would be the way to hang things. Simple and effective. And easy to take back down. Like the gentleman said above, lots of pegboard is nice, although, all my cabinets have doors and drawers, I like to keep the dust out of things as much as possible.

Lots of lighting! I keep adding lights, maybe as I get older the eyes get dimmer.

The best dust collection you can afford. All piped in if you can, I have a very small shop and have to drag a hose around, not fun and not as effective.

Last edited:
Top Bottom