Shop setup ideas and opinions wanted

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tieflyer

Good morning kids! As a new turner most of my shop setup is cobbled together, no order but with a desire to have function and efficiency. Standard two car garage, half of which is mine to use as I see fit. Current setup is two benches with a grinding stand in the middle..."U" shaped. Lathe on one, press and bandsaw on the other. Tools are just laying around and bit/kits are in a toolbox. As you face into the garage I'm set up on the right and wife pars on the left...she suggested we trade sides so this would allow me a fresh start with the space. If you were going to make a turning shop in the left corner of your garage, what would you do? My truck lives outside because my lawn company occupies the rest of "my side".

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

firewhatfire

The upcoming birthday dash will have several photos of shops to look at. I have a storage cabinet on wheels witha counter top on it. That has been my best addition. It was 2 upper cabinets from the kitchen placed back to back. I have blanks storage in 1 side and drill bits and such in the other. the counter surface for sandpaper and glue and whatever I am working on.

nava1uni

You should look at the shop pictures to get idea of how to layout your shop. It will give you some ideas. There is also a small shop book put out that you might check out of your library if they have it. I found it useful in setting up my shop.
I use a roll away toolbox to store all turning related items. On the sides I attached holders for my lathe tools. It works well and allows me access without having to move from the lathe. It is more ergonomic and safer.

plantman

:RockOn: I would put my benches against the wall. That way you can add pegboard or shelves behind them. Any tool that isn't bench mounted, goes on a base with wheels so you can move it into an open space when needed. Make use of all space under the bench for storage or drawers to put larger tools or supplies in. Hook up a roll around shop vac. with flex hose to pick up sawdust from your machines and the floor. Someone will thank you for this !! Add a rubber mat in front of your benches to give your feet a rest. I keep a roll around office chair with arms within reach of one of my benches to give my back a rest and do assembly work or hand sanding. I also mounted a TV/VCR unit with remote controll and a sound system over a bench to I can watch woodworking tapes or listen to music as I work. With the remote I can sit in the chair and stop or rewind if I want to run something past again. A cup holder mounted to the side of the bench or on the pegboard keeps you from spilling any liquids on the top of your bench. Install proper lighting over your bench, and an outlet strip on the front or side of your bench. This will keep the cords off the top of your bench. This way you can keep all your small tool, such as hand sanders, grinders, tube cutters, and others, pluged in and at arms reach without having to search for them or having to plug and unplug items in your two place plug. Store them under your bench on a high shelf to take up less space. Place the tools used the least on the far end of your bench or shop so you dont have to move them when you want to use some other tool. Make sure you have some type of air circulation in the garage, even if it's just a box fan blowing air around in a circle. A telephone hookup is always handy to have and easy to run the wires. A portable vice is nice to have handy if you need to hold something. Get one that has a flat surface on the back should you need to pound something flat or set rivets. ( knife making ) I also have a 10 bin storage cart on wheels to hold small tools and supplies from Walmart. Make sure you can hear the dinner bell from the garage !!! Those are my thoughts on how I arrange my shop at the moment. Things change as you move on, and you rearange as you see fit. A little long, but I am trying to cover as much as I can. I am sure others on this site can add many other must haves to this list. Good Luck !!! Jim S

Last edited:

nava1uni

One thing that I have done for safety is install a doorbell near my lathe. Then when someone is going to come down into the shop they ring the bell and I am alerted and they don't sneak up on me and cause an accident. It is wireless and has been very handy.

plantman

One thing that I have done for safety is install a doorbell near my lathe. Then when someone is going to come down into the shop they ring the bell and I am alerted and they don't sneak up on me and cause an accident. It is wireless and has been very handy.

:bananen_smilies047: Cindy; That is a very good Idea !! Thank you for suggesting it. I would add to this by getting a second unit that is kept in the house, and workout a code for using it. ! ring if your comming in the shop. 2 rings if the phone is for you. 3 rings when lunch is ready. 4 rings rings means stay in the basement there's a tornado comming. You get the idea !! Jim S

Top Bottom