Shop Organization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

beck3906

Thanks for all your comments. I fel like I'm making positive moves to get things organized. It feels good when others think so also.

I had built 7 wall cabinet boxes and was ready to apply the face frames when I began researching the french cleat system. Pinterest was a great resource for photos and links to other people's work to use as suggestions and inspiration. I began designing my own things over a few weeks and then began construction.

I would build a few, do the finish work, hang them, and them start a few more. I probably have another 15 different things to build before the fall. I need time to get back to inventory making for a couple of shows this spring.

I'm also working on show displays in another thread. The displays I had been using were getting to be a bit over-whelming for the look I wanted. I'll have these mostly finished this week for a show in San Antonio 2 weeks.

As to questions.....

The big room in the shop is terribly cluttered right now. Organization starts with small steps and I needed to get certain things done to really make a final push for cleaning.

I did want to get organized before I had everyone over this spring. As it looks now, I'm thinking it will be the weekend after Memorial Day when I can host something. I'm having cataract surgery during April so that month is out. Shows in May hinder something the first of May.

I wa asked about the stainless mandrel. This is a regular mandrel with bushings left on it. Nothing special.

As to my organization method.

I had a dozen tackle boxes I had accumulated over the last few years. I built something to hold them to get them out if the way. Nothing specifically planned for now, but thoughts do exist.

Wal-mart sells small storage containers I use for "work-in-progress". I built 2 racks to hold these types of boxes.

There are racks wth boards having dowel pegs to hold blanks that are drilled and tubed. I often get several things tubed and put them aside for turning later. These racks also hold blanks I buy from vendors as I see things like watch part blanks. Buy them when you see them...they may not be available for a while. Some may be one of a kind.

I'll post more pictures as I finish more racks or cabinets.

Last edited:

beck3906

More thoughts.

There's a group of 4 of the cabinets with small drawers. These are for bushings. Yep, I do collect a number over time. And expect more.

Another cabinet with drawers was built because my wife thought I needed the cabinet to organize my shop. I built the rack to hold it on the cleats.

I love the idea of moving things around.

Multiple holders for gloves to use in different places in the shop.

A couple of racks to hold end mills depending on which room I'm working.

Small trays to hold misc things like drill bit cases, buffing bars, etc.

Small shelves to hold those things I loose easily like loc-tite.

Top Bottom