Shop Heat

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wright

I set my pen shop up in my 28ft X 30 ft garage. It is not insulated. I know I can't heat the whole garage but is a good idea for a source heat this winter?
Space heaters, wood stove, propane. It is a two car garage and my work space is in corner of the garage. I live in Alabama and winters can get cold. Any help will be appreciated.

Regards

Lamar

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

corian king

Hello! If you are only using a part of the garage then why don't you frame up a couple walls.throw in some insulation and get you a wood stove or a space heater.
That way you are only trying to heat the space you are using.

Padre

Lamar,
I put in a HotDawg suspended gas heater, and I absolutely love it. I warms up my 2.5 car garage in no time flat and sips the gas!

Lucky2

Buy yourself a pellet stove, that's what I'm going to purchase my shop. I live in Atlantic Canada and it gets very cold here in the wintertime, hell it's even cold here in the summertime. But all kidding aside the reason I say to get a pellet burning stove is that they can be controlled by a thermostat, whereas a woodstove can't. And by not being able to control the temps all you get is a real hot shop, or a cold shop. there is no happy medium. Plus another problem with a woodstove is that by the time you get your shop warmed up enough to work in, you've lost the urge or time to do anything. I wish that I'd bought a pellet burning stove rather then the woodburning one that I did, because now I'm going to buy a pellet burning one and I will be stuck with the woodburning one, or I'll end up giving it away.
Len

OOPS

IMHO, I think a pellet stove would be overkill in your area, unless you want the temperature to be 70+ no matter what the outside temperature is. I live in Washington State, where we get cold winters, where low temps are routinely in the low 20s in the winter, with dips to 10 degrees or lower infrequently.

Since I am working in the shop, I don't want to heat it to 70 degrees. I prefer somewhere between 55 degrees and 65 degrees, depending on how active I am going to be while in there. I have a coat and an apron on, so that is additional insulation. My first recommendation would be to determine your room's insulation. I had metal garage doors and those just sucked the heat out of the room. Insulating them made a significant difference. After that, I have both a kerosene heater and an electric heater. The electric heater puts out 1500 watts and the kerosene heater puts out 22,500 BTUs. If the outdoor temp is around the low to mid 40s, the electric heater alone will bring up the temp nicely. If the exterior temp is in the mid 30s, then the kerosene heater by itself will heat the shop. As the temps get down into the low 20s, then both are needed, and they have to be turned on well before I actually want to enter the shop to work. Also, I have an oscillating fan, which I keep on low, to keep the air circulating. If you want to section off part of the shop for heat, then I suggest using heavy plastic curtains. I have used them to heat smaller sections of my shop and also to keep those same sections cooler in the summer, when A/C was insufficient to cool the entire room. I hope this helps.

Wood Butcher

Local Chapter Leader
One more comment, if I may. I had a new home built 6 years ago and with it a 3 1/2 car garage. I walled off the 1 1/2 bay part, about 22'x14', and hired an electrical firm to install wiring for the lights, outlets and a couple of 220v outlets as well. They also installed a 220v ceiling mounted heater that is about 12 or maybe 13 inches in diameter and the same in length. It has a built in controllable thermostat and is super efficient and quiet. I then insulated the walls, the garage door and blew 20" of fiberglass into the ceiling. In the winters since this was all done, we have had temps as low as 10 deg. below zero and the heater has maintained 68 degrees with very little bump in our all electric house bill. It is trouble free and all I ever do is blow it out with an air hose if I've done a lot of sawdusty work. Seriously, I have had the wood stoves (major PITA) and propane (aka bottled gas $$$). I've had oil filled electric 110v heaters and kerosene heaters and this is the best, most even, most economical heat I've experienced in a shop. If you want more details PM me and I'll be glad to get all I have on it. The key is.....insulate till you can't insulate any more....then caluk. Seal it up and you won't look back.
WB

paintspill

i'm going with len on this one, being a fellow canadian, i can feel his pain. i put in a pellet stove last winter, and never used the shop so much in a winter. i have looked at the hot dawg heater but being detached from the house was more work than i was interested in.

here's a closer look lamar shop heat.wmv - YouTube

Haynie

What is this thinking ahead stuff? It is May. You should not be worrying about this until say October or first frost. :)

We heat our house with a pellet stove. I am not a huge fan but ours is a Lennox model POS. If going with a pellet stove stay away from Lennox.

A friend of mine bought a small wood burning stove from Northern tool to heat his house. Maybe 1500 square feet and they had to open the door for most of the winter because it was too hot in the house.

Last edited:

Ed1016

Bake

I installed a Heat Pump for both Air and Heat, works great in my 2 car garage. I'm located in Piperton TN and the summers are brutal for this boy from VT. Cools and when needed heats quickly, natural gas.

dogcatcher

Wood stoves, gas heaters etc., would be overkill for the amount of cold you get. Even my shop in the mountains out west, I can easily get by with with a small electric heater when the temp drops to the 30's. A lot cheaper to find something else to do for the few days you get the real cold weather. If it is real cold, I use that time to work inside assembling pieces I have turned, work on my bookkeeping, or plan purchases of "stuff I think I need".

IPD_Mr

Just how "cold" does it get in Alabama??? Maybe all you need to do to stay warm is put on a long sleeve shirt!

Jim - Are you trying to get him in trouble. You know shirts are illegal in Alabama! :biggrin::tongue::biggrin:

Sorry could help myself with such a big opening.

One thing about a pellet stove is it heats more like a gas heater than a woodstove. I have used one here and for 5 years I heated my entire house with it. Now it was really working hard but it did it. It won't drive you out of the room though!

76winger

Having natural gas for heating, I have one of these hanging from the ceiling of my garage: https://www.rezspec.com/catalog-udas.html
65000 BTU takes care of the semi insulated 36 x 34 lower area of my garage and keeps it in the high 60's in the back half where my shop is even when the temps outside drop below zero. I drop the thermostat down to around 48 when I'm not in the shop to keep everything above freezing and condensation away, and bump it up to 68 when I'm out there working.

Down in Alabama, I'm sure the 30k BTU little brother would work well if you run on gas. And if you don't maybe someone else can use the info.
https://www.rezspec.com/catalog-udas.html

DSurette

I'm in a similar situation and I use one of those Kerosun kerosene heaters. Works fine for me. I use a stand fan to circulate the heat and the garage gets comfortable in no time. I have a CO detector close by and it never has gotten above a reading of zero.

Top Bottom