shop frustrations

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

ryannmphs

Just need to vent. I have 2 delta lathes. A midi and 1440 Iron Bed. I just bought the 1440 this past fall knowing it needed work. No biggie, pretty much everything in the HS has been replace, from the spindle to the bearings to the retaining clips. I still have noticable "wobble" or runout. I think I found the cuprit, I hope. It appears that the reeves drive pully on the motor is damaged in some way as the outside pulley (the fixed one) has some major wobble to it. Ok so new spring, pulley and key ordered for the motor side. 7-10 days to get here, geesh, it was so nice when the parts were in Jackson, TN :D

Now my mid also has some runout, grrr.

Here's a question for ya, I can I measure this runout without special tools? The only measureing device I have for this would be my digital calipers, but I'm not sure how to go about acutally measureing the runout.

Well, at least I can say that my lesson is learned. I will buy new from now on (at least when I can afford it[:p])

Thanks for allowing me to vent.

y'all have a great day!!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob A

Sorry don't know the answer to your question. But I do share your pain with the Delta 1440. I have replaced the pulleys in the headstock and the motor and the darn thing still won't change speeds smoothly. I had a terrible knocking noise since the day I bought it. That seems to have quieted some. I am beginning to hate this lathe. I will for certain never buy another lathe with a reeves drive.

Not trying to discourage you with this, just relaying my problems. They seem to be common with this lathe. Hope you come out better.

Dario

I hear you too.

Sometimes in our quest to save, we usually end up either spending more or go through more angst and pains (or both) than buying a new, quality tool/equipment to begin with.

But reality is, most of us have to live with a budget and work with what we have. Good luck and hope your problem get resolved soon!

low_48

If you can clamp a piece of stiff wire or metal near the pulley. Rotate the pulley be hand to touch off on the high spot. Rotate to the spot where it seems to be the furthest away from the wire. If you don't have a feeler gage, a dollar bill is .003" thick. Put the dollars between the pulley and wire until there is a light drag (that is if you haven't sent all your dollars to Delta [}:)]) That should get you a pretty close measurement. Sure was glad to get rid of my reeves drive Delta and get a Oneway!!!![:D]

ryannmphs

From OWWM

The Reeves Pulley Co. was founded 1888 by Marshall T. Reeves and two younger brothers, Milton O. Reeves and Girnie L. Reeves, plus their father.

M.O. Reeves invented the variable speed drive that bears his name. A Reeves type variable speed transmission unit comprises a pair of split pulleys with a drive belt extending around both pulleys. Speed adjustment of the pulley arrangement is accomplished by means of a worm screw arrangement which is used to reduce the distance between the two halves of one of the split pulleys, and increase the distance of the halves of the other. Reeves drives were popular on lathes. See, for example, the Oliver 22-A and the Yates-American W-20.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by daveturns05
<br />what is a reeves drive?

Looks something like this:

http://members.cox.net/marty-escarcega/doall/drive.JPG

or this:

JWL-1236PULLEYS.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom