Shop Fox

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

run91

Hi everyone,
Does anyone know anything about the shop fox W1758 16" x 43" lathe? I am looking for a full size lathe within a reasonable price range and found a shop fox in my search. It almost looks like the jet JWL 1442VS which is more expensive. I was leaning towards the Jet, but after seeing the price of the shop fox I wanted to make sure it would be comparable.

monophoto

I have the Shop Fox 1704. My experience with it has been positive. There are minor things that I could complain about (such as the lack of a handwheel on the headstock), but it was a simple matter to make a handwheel from a scrap piece of oak I also don't especially care for the shape of the handwheel on the tailstock - but I can live with it.

The bottom line for me was that the price was right. I've had a lot of fun making shavings and sawdust in the six months that I've had it, as well has making a lot of Christmas gifts for the family. Taking a wine stopper to a neighbor who is hosting a holiday party tonight, and gave another neighbor a tea light earlier this week. I do this for fun - it's not a business where I might be able to justify a more expensive tool. And one of the things that I've learned is that a lot of the fun comes from figuring out clever ways to overcome the shortcomings of the tools you have (or perhaps don't have).

Top Bottom