Shipwreck wood pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mywoodshopca

mywoodshopca

Charlottetown, PEI Canada, Derby Kansas and Canyon
Finally turned the chunk of the 1850s bark that I collected last weekend.. I wanted the wood to still look "rustic" so I didnt fill any pits that showed up during turning. 100+ years of sitting under wet coal and beach sand dyed the wood a nice color :)

I drew a X to where the remaining ship is located now.

Thanks for looking :)

Jason

Origional thread....
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51751

Attachments

• shippen.jpg
    shippen.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 441
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurnaPen

Good work on the pen, probably looks better in presence than in the photos, the history behind it is what gives it value, if you have enough of the wood, you could laser engrave the ships' name on it and date. Amos

mywoodshopca

Good work on the pen, probably looks better in presence than in the photos, the history behind it is what gives it value, if you have enough of the wood, you could laser engrave the ships' name on it and date. Amos

Great idea Amos :)

Yes, I need to get better pictures done.. I had a temp cardboard box photo tent, but tossed it with the plans on doing a bigger/better one.. just never got it done yet lol

titan2

Finally turned the chunk of the 1850s bark that I collected last weekend.. I wanted the wood to still look "rustic" so I didnt fill any pits that showed up during turning. 100+ years of sitting under wet coal and beach sand dyed the wood a nice color :)

I drew a X to where the remaining ship is located now.

Thanks for looking :)

Jason

Origional thread....
http://www.penturners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=51751

Want to draw more interest? Take a GPS out to the wreck and get its position........include that info. Do a little GEOCaching, let the buyer do a hunt and learn more about the wreck and so forth.....

Barney

mywoodshopca

Want to draw more interest? Take a GPS out to the wreck and get its position........include that info. Do a little GEOCaching, let the buyer do a hunt and learn more about the wreck and so forth.....

Barney

I may do some of the gps next summer.. but problem is about 95% of the wrecks off the island here would need to be dived. I know a few that are on shore around here within a few hrs drive each way from me. This is really the only one that is safe for people to access without a disclaimer.. Another few you need to walk through a few fields and woods to an abandoned shore and its a steep cliff to remains of 2 ships. One metal and one wood. Even this one, you need to walk almost 3 miles upshore to reach it. Another one, the bow was remaining the last time I saw it and it would require a mile + walk during low tide only to access it.

I may start a personal collection of shipwreck pens.. I had a chunk of wood before from the gypsey or clausina (both sunk in 1850 in that location) but it was so "thinned" out it looked like a bristle janitors broom on the wood.

I know another I am wanting to get on that is still very intact from 1906 that my grandfathers uncle caught Pneumonia helping rescue people.. The ship is currently in about 50ft of water offshore.

And the ship Marco Polo, is also somewhat visable on certain years.. BUT its in the national park area in Cavendish.. so you cant touch anything.. The remains is in 18' water and on a clear day can see some of the brass bolts. The creator of Anne of Green Gables did a childs book on the marco polo as well since she was one of the towns people who heard the crash and witnessed the wrecking of it.

Lots of history wood around here :)

Top Bottom