Shipping Wood to Canada?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Mark,

I had to ship a couple of smocks to Canada. All I did was use USPS Click and Ship. They have combined the shipping label and the customs form into one document making it very easy. There could possibly be an additional requirement for organic material (wood), but I don't think so.

KenV

Mark -- taking wood through customs into and out of BC/Yukon Territory - is not a problem but NO BARK.

If wood, you might give them a spray coat of finish to help the inspector know they are not green and loaded with "mites".

The concern is about hitch-hiking bugs and blights

Skie_M

Also, you should make sure that the exterior of the box is not erroneously marked "Explosives", "Corrosive Chemicals", "Radioactive Waste", or "Biohazard" from previous shipments ....

Of course, if you aren't re-using boxes, that shouldn't be a big problem. :wink:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
I've sent wood to Canada several times with no problems. I've always used the on-line International Priority click n ship because it's so convenient & the customs forms are filled out automagically.

I don't know how it compares to First Class postage, but you can ship up to 4 pounds for $20.85 using International Priority - just don't go a single ounce over that amount or the price jumps to $41.37.

International Priority is the same price for a small flat rate box, a regular priority mail envelope or a padded envelope. So, I generally pack blanks in a small flat rate box, then put that inside a padded envelope & if I have some weight allowance left, I'll cram a few extra blanks around the box to fill the envelope as full as I can & stay within the 4 pound limit.

USPS has a clear stick-on sleeve with a slit that you are supposed to put the shipping label/customs form into so it's easy for the inspectors to remove then replace when they are done. I always make 2 copies of the label and tape one to the bottom of the package (fully covered with clear strapping tape) just in case the inspector loses or damages the one in the sleeve.

As noted by others, be sure there is no bark and the wood is nice & solid so there won't be any bug concerns.

Skie_M

I've sent wood to Canada several times with no problems. I've always used the on-line International Priority click n ship because it's so convenient & the customs forms are filled out automagically.

I don't know how it compares to First Class postage, but you can ship up to 4 pounds for $20.85 using International Priority - just don't go a single ounce over that amount or the price jumps to $41.37.

International Priority is the same price for a small flat rate box, a regular priority mail envelope or a padded envelope. So, I generally pack blanks in a small flat rate box, then put that inside a padded envelope & if I have some weight allowance left, I'll cram a few extra blanks around the box to fill the envelope as full as I can & stay within the 4 pound limit.

USPS has a clear stick-on sleeve with a slit that you are supposed to put the shipping label/customs form into so it's easy for the inspectors to remove then replace when they are done. I always make 2 copies of the label and tape one to the bottom of the package (fully covered with clear strapping tape) just in case the inspector loses or damages the one in the sleeve.

As noted by others, be sure there is no bark and the wood is nice & solid so there won't be any bug concerns.

..... What about shipping spalted wood? Or wood that needs to be stabilized?

What about things like an acrylic blank full of acorn caps? Where exactly does that fall in the legality of shipping chunks of unrefined penmanship materials?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ken, Mike, Andrew & Edgar - Great - that is what I needed.

No problems with the compliance. I'll be sending only what came from the cabinet shop and they only used kiln grade contractors stock. Nothing spectacular, but perfectly fine to practice with, as well as some nice blanks.

Thank You!

Top Bottom