Shipping label service for first class

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dan Masshardt

I need to start printing shipping labels and need to have the option to choose either first class or priority.

USPS.com only wants to let me choose priority.

Any advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

Dan

Check the price.

Priority is a flat rate service ('if it fits in the package, it goes for the flat rate'), whereas first class is weight-based. What that means is that unless the package is very light, priority is likely to be less expensive. Also, priority in inherently trackable - there is an additional fee to track first class.

And the thing that USPS doesn't always tell you is that priority often gets to the destination faster.

Priority was designed as a package service (upgraded parcel post), and the USPS web site was designed to sell prepaid labels. The presumption on first class is that most folks will just stick a 'forever' stamp on the envelope.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Actually, priority CAN be flat rate, if you use one of the 5 boxes (domestic) or 6 boxes (international) that are designated as flat rate.
If you do not use these boxes, priority is "pay per pound".

First class does not offer "flat rate". First class is also limited to 14 oz or less.

Parcel post is another option, but we never use it, so I don't know the rules.

The Penguin

what is the weight of the package? if over a few ounces - you have to use priority.

you don't have to use a flat rate box though.

Dan Masshardt

I found a solution for some of what I need to do. Etsy order shipping is great. Should have picked up on it before.

Goes right on your bill.

It was under 2 ounces and under $2. With tracking number included for first class. Excellent.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Cheapest first-class approach is to self-print mailing labels (peelable Avery labels work great) and slap stamps on the envelope or package.

USPS doesn't offer on-line printed labels for first class but some of their authorized vendors do (paypal, stamps.com, etc). However, they only offer this service for first class packages or large envelopes (min of about $2.00 postage) and the cost is generally a little higher than using stamps -- you pay a little for the on-line convenience.

Dan Masshardt

Cheapest first-class approach is to self-print mailing labels (peelable Avery labels work great) and slap stamps on the envelope or package. USPS doesn't offer on-line printed labels for first class but some of their authorized vendors do (paypal, stamps.com, etc). However, they only offer this service for first class packages or large envelopes (min of about $2.00 postage) and the cost is generally a little higher than using stamps -- you pay a little for the on-line convenience.

I was surprised to see that etsy shipping through endicia was chapter than the post Office and includes delivery confirmation which would take me up to $3 at the post office. Highly recommended for etsy sellers.

Boss302

If you have enough volume stamps.com is a good service but it cost $15/month. Most on-line mailing services (Etsy, Ebay, stamps.com) sell postage at a commercial rate that is cheaper than going to the post office or putting your own stamps on the package. First Class package mail flies in the same plane as Priority, has the same tracking capability, and gets there in approximately the same time as Priority.

PR_Princess

If you have paypal account here is another non fee solution.

https://www.paypal.com/ShipNow

Not as convenient as paypals multi order shipping, but it is simple and flexible. Great for one or two labels. This also gives you several mailing options (including 1st class, parcel select etc), the Priority Mail rates are discounted, and you can even choose to ship via UPS if you prefer.

Top Bottom