Shipped wrong order

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I am asking here to get some advise on what you would do if it happened to you?

There is a style of pen that I really like and use to be able to buy the kit for it locally. I stopped turning for about a year and when I got back into it, the local supplier stopped carrying the Sierra Elegant Beauty style kit.

I turn between centers, so I happen to have multiple bushings for that particular pen. I found the pen kit from a company in the USA, and although it's a more expensive, I said to myself that I'd pick up a large order of 70 of the style as it would cover me for a long time and dividing the cost of shipping/taxes/brokerage over multiple pen kits averages the price down. So I ordered two colour styles with 35 pen kits of each.

I got my box today and it has 70 of the Sierra Elegant Beauty kits inside, but instead of getting 35 of one colour and 35 of the other colour, I got 25 and 45.

Now, I can't really complain that i got short changed in the number of kits. Each of the two colour styles cost the same, so I haven't been short changed in money either. Just I got the wrong number of each colour style.

I live in Canada, so it's not all that easy to simply put it in the post and send it back. The cost of shipping to the USA can get expensive. If I am returning items to be replaced, there is quite a bit of paper forms that need to get filled out or else I will get double taxes/fee's when I get the replacement back. And that is not to mention who is picking up the cost.

It's not that I can't live with what I was shipped. Its just not exactly what I ordered.

Would you expect the vendor to make it right?

Would you expect if the vendor want's the wrong coloured pen kit bag back that they would pick up the cost?

or would you just shrug it off as an unfortunate mistake by the vendor and let by-gones be by-gones?

Matt

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

I would ask for an adjustment in the price if it would make you feel better about their mistake. Live & learn. Mistakes happen. It could well be they didn't have enough of kit "A" to ship the amount you wanted, so they substituted some extra kit "B" for it.

TomW

Vendor should send you 10 of the item shorted, at his cost. You then make ten pens with the extra (long shipped) kits, and donate them to charity. Everyone wins.
Tom

Akula

If someone bought something from you, and you shipped a substituted item...think they would be upset, would you make it right?

If short on items, the vendor should have contacted you and let you know, then together make a decision. That is unless it's stated someplace, limited to items and quality in stock, substitutions may apply ect.

IMO, the price don't matter.

If I was out of $20.00 bills, do you think I could just swap them for $10.00 bills? Just a even swap since they are basically the same in size and color? LOL Pretty close in the same value.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
It sounds like you cleaned off his shelf. You ordered enough to last awhile...good plan. I would live with it and, by the time I went through what I received, I would check back to see if the supplies have been replenished. That's my answer. :wink:

Oh, you might check with the vendor. See what they say.

Last edited:

Joey-Nieves

If you look at it from the that's not what I ordered point of view, then you should call the vendor.
On the other hand, you say you can live with it so...
before you act you may want to consider:
-is this a small vendor.
-how will this affect his small business
-should you really make him pay for his mistake?

I have no doubt he screwed up, but I probably would let it slide and mention it to him in your next order. because tomorrow I'll probably screw up and someone will cut me some slack.
I believe you should receive what you ordered, but if it's not a big deal then look at the eraser on your pencil, mine is worn out and the pencil is still 5 inches long.

Just a thought
Joey

magpens

I live in Canada too so I can appreciate the situation you are in.
So you have 10 kits more than you ordered of one plating and 10 kits fewer of the other.
I think it would be nice to know whether the vendor had to alter your order or simply made a mistake. The vendor may like to know also.
I would definitely contact the vendor and ask politely and nicely. All the vendors I know will give you a kind reply.
But basically I would then shrug it off. Let's face it, you are very likely going to use them all anyway.
And by the time you get close to completing all those pens you will be placing another order and can make adjustments to your stock numbers then.

Last edited:
My reason for posting was more out of curiosity as to what others would think or how they would respond if this happened to them.

I purposefully left the vendors name out of the posting as I don't want any negative feedback to them. I am sure it was an honest mistake. I have contacted the vendor and after double checking, it turns out that their supplier had mislabeled some bags of product, and unfortunately one of my bags got put into the wrong supply bin and it was not caught when picked and shipped out. I feel for the vendor ... at no point did they purposefully try and do something wrong. just bad luck in the chain of events.

All that said, I am still with a wrong bag of product. Its not that I can't live with what I have received. I would just prefer to have what I ordered.

They did offer to pay for me to return the bag and re-ship the correct one to me. What I have suggested to them instead to make it more of a win/win and give me a free shipping credit on my next order. I get a break on shipping costs and they get another sales order so that nobody looses money.

Will see if that works for them. The last thing I want is some of our great vendors who make this hobby fun to loose out. It was unfortunate what happened, and hopefully now they know that some of their product is bagged wrong, they can decide it its worth checking those bins to see if there are other wrongly packaged items inside.

Thanks for everyone who replied.

Matt

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
If it were me

If I was the vendor since you are in Canada and I am in the USA unless you indicated it would be a real hardship, I would not ask you to send back the extras, nor would I offer to send replacements. For the inconvenience I would offer you a partial refund on the 10 extra of one color.

But you should decide what you will do if the vendor says, return the entire order and I will issue a full refund including return postage.

All of that is predicated on you not having negotiated a special price for all of the kits.

Last edited:

Wildman

Similar situation ordered twenty of the same kits two different platings got 10 kits did not order. Called the vendor (Berea), girl had the kits did not order picked up from my house and correct platings mailed to me. Took a phone call to solve my problem and no additional cost to me.

Had a problem with quality of kits ordered from Craft Supplies. Made four of the pens and did not want to make any more. Called CS explained problem, sent rest of those kits back, my bill was adjusted.

Do inspect your order when it arrives and call ASAP if there is a problem don't wait! Whenever there is an issue with your order occurs call the vendor give them an opportunity to fix any problems.

Let us know how you make out!

nativewooder

Always call the supplier and tell them about the error. Give them the option of making a correction. It won't cost you anything to be honest and it gives the supplier the option to make a good customer service decision.

Top Bottom