Sherline Lathe and HUT Carriage Control System....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bgray

I'm considering buying the Sherline lathe with Hut's carriage control system.

http://www.hutproducts.com/lathes9.html

I'm curious if anyone uses or has used the carriage control system that they sell with this this lathe.

It seems to me that the lever could give you a lot of leverage that you may not want. A little movement of that handle could transfer a lot of movement on the carriage that might make your final pass a little uneven or rough. I'm sure that could be sanded out with no problem. I'm just worried about how a twitchy hand could possibly cause a blank to blow out on the final pass.

Any experience with this setup?

By the way, I'm also finding the need more and more to do machining. As far as I can tell, tabletop machining is unrivaled by Sherline products...another reason for picking up this lathe.

Thanks,

Brian

gerryr

For the cost of this puppy, you can get a Rikon VS AND some really good high end tools and probably still have money left over.

jscola

I was just at the woodcraft store in sterling hgts. michigan & they have the jet mini lathe ( not the variable speed model) but the price is $269.99 and you also get a nova chuck with it & a $25.00 rebate from the factory. I dont know if all the woodcraft store are offering that deal or just the mi one. It's not a bad deal for that lathe.

low_48

You just can't get a quality finish with duplicators or this controller. The cut is too much like scraping. I have a Vega duplicator on a Jet mini. It is good for roughing down acrylics, but that is about it for pen turning. Any professional set up like this uses a shearing cut that is done with profiled cutters, or has a shaft that runs the equivalent to a shaper head counterrotating against the spindle.

I do know of a turner that uses a duplicator because of a musclar disease. For him it is a God send. I also use my duplicator to set diameters on repetative small spindle work, but I have it mounted on the backside (with the cutter mounted upside down) and follow up with handwork to set the fine detail and get good surface finish.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom