shaving brush question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from glycerine

glycerine

Now that I have a decent lathe, I'd like to make myself a matching shaving bowl, brush and razor handle. For those of you that make shaving brushes, what type of glue do you use to glue the knot inside the handle?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenWorks

I have used them all 5 -20-30-60 minute epoxies. They all work if you have enough coverage. Lately I usually glue up about 6 at a time, so I am using 20 minute epoxy, I really don't think the brand name comes into play. I fill in my pilot hole with epoxy from my mandrel, then coat the bottom of the hole. Run a thin bead around the plug of the knot and coat the bottom of the plug, not a whole bunch as you do not want it to oooozzzzzz up and out onto the hair. But get good coverage all around. Let it set up over night, then in the morning she should be good to give a few good tugs to make sure it don't come out.

glycerine

I have used them all 5 -20-30-60 minute epoxies. They all work if you have enough coverage. Lately I usually glue up about 6 at a time, so I am using 20 minute epoxy, I really don't think the brand name comes into play. I fill in my pilot hole with epoxy from my mandrel, then coat the bottom of the hole. Run a thin bead around the plug of the knot and coat the bottom of the plug, not a whole bunch as you do not want it to oooozzzzzz up and out onto the hair. But get good coverage all around. Let it set up over night, then in the morning she should be good to give a few good tugs to make sure it don't come out.

Ok, thank you very much Anthony!

Boss302

I normally glue a few of these up at a time, so I use a 30 minute epoxy. The real key though is to get that right amount of glue on the sides and bottom of the hole. Too much and the epoxy will squeeze out of the knot hole onto your nicely finished handle and too little and you run the risk of the knot coming loose at a later time. I like to have the glue just leak out 1/32" or so and that way I know the sides are sealed from water penetration. The knot itself will absorb minor excess squeeze out.

It's really not too hard to figure out once you start the process. Good luck with your project.

Pat Camara

www.badgerbrush.net

glycerine

I normally glue a few of these up at a time, so I use a 30 minute epoxy. The real key though is to get that right amount of glue on the sides and bottom of the hole. Too much and the epoxy will squeeze out of the knot hole onto your nicely finished handle and too little and you run the risk of the knot coming loose at a later time. I like to have the glue just leak out 1/32" or so and that way I know the sides are sealed from water penetration. The knot itself will absorb minor excess squeeze out.

It's really not too hard to figure out once you start the process. Good luck with your project.

Pat Camara

www.badgerbrush.net

Thanks Pat.

Top Bottom