shave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from fernhills

fernhills

This is the new Mach3 Razor with the fitting that Anthony at the Golden Nib Just put up on our forum. The blanks are from Ed, at Exotic Blanks. Those two guys almost make me look good. Carl

Attachments

• 20100414_1.jpg
    20100414_1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 352
  • 20100414_2.jpg
    20100414_2.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 224
  • 20100414_3.jpg
    20100414_3.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 249
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mark

Carl, that is very elegant. The blank really sets it off. It even matches the bristles. Very nice shaving set.

PaulDoug

Verrrrrry Nice! I've had that on my "to do" list for a long time. Do they have a blank of that big enough to make a matching soap mug?

turbowagon

Very nice! I have a few of those stands, but they don't hold my razors very well. Does the new fitting hold the razor securely on the metal stands, or is it a balancing act?

fernhills

Very nice! I have a few of those stands, but they don't hold my razors very well. Does the new fitting hold the razor securely on the metal stands, or is it a balancing act?

Hi, yes it was just the ticket. I made a few before with out the fitting and it was indeed a balancing act when the stand is in use. Or you had to turn the handle very thin in center so it would fit in its bracket, and that weakens the handle in wood, acrylic would be OK though. Thanks everyone for your comments. Carl

seamus7227

Now that is just bad asterick*! that would make a great gift for my best man and the groomsmen in my wedding. Thanks for the idea, and great work!

KDM

To Seal or Not to Seal

Those are jsut lovely! I have a plan to do this with a safety raazor, actually. I'm still puzzling out the mechanics. I need 2 tubes: one to open the buttterfly and the other to set the rake on the blade.

Before I start, I'm looking for opinions on sealing / varnishing the wood. I plan on using mahogany. It's a nice oily wood and I'd be reasonably content not to bother putting a varnish or a CA finish on it at all. I don't think it would rot if it got wet. Not very quickly any way. I have the same dilemma which faces boat owners: shold I varnish it? I'm concerned that the varnish will only trap in moisture, making the wood rot more quickly.

Has anyone got any thoughts?

(Last time I asked that, someone said "Yes, but where are we going to get a cat and some fireworks at this time of night?")

fernhills

I am now using a brush handle made from Wenge, no finish at all on it. Been using it for the past 6 months. I am trying to see how long it last for my own experiment. I occasionally rub some baby oil on it to shine it up a bit, only because it is in the medicine cabinet. So far so good. Carl

Top Bottom