Shars - Members' opinion please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Today I saw mention of Shars as a source for machine tooling in a thread asking about "Tailstock Adaptors / Vee Adaptors". This is the first that I am aware of these guys. (I have used other suppliers regularly mentioned here at IAP). For those that have experience with this vendor, do you recommend them to be on my 'Go To' list of guys for metal lathe related stuff?

Your feedback is appreciated.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hanau

Today I saw mention of Shars as a source for machine tooling in a thread asking about "Tailstock Adaptors / Vee Adaptors". This is the first that I am aware of these guys. (I have used other suppliers regularly mentioned here at IAP). For those that have experience with this vendor, do you recommend them to be on my 'Go To' list of guys for metal lathe related stuff?

Your feedback is appreciated.

I buy stuff from discount_machine they sell Shars stuff
discount_machine | eBay

I bought a milling vices, indicators ,live centers and taper adapters.

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have several pieces of SHars equipment or tool holders. They have some decent stuff.
They do have some things that are not as nice as the name brands of the same item but they dont have the price tag either. I bought a 6 jaw adj chuck from Precision Mathews who imports my lathe and carries their products. I was able to dial it in to less than .005 without any difficulty. Will it last as long as A Bison chuck? Probably not but at 1/3 the price I can live with it. I also bought a 0- 5/8 keyless chuck that is now my go to drill chuck. (I have 6 or more.) I bought all my extra tool holders for my qctp from them, they work just fine as well as several indexable tools for carbide inserts.

Hanau's link is the company I use as well

Last edited:

Curly

I put in an order a number of years ago and had it shipped to a friend near Portland so I could get it when I went to visit. Only one piece that wasn't very good, an indicator holder to tram the head on a milling machine. It was about $10 so wasn't worth trying to return. You should have seen the expression on the Canadian border guard's face on the return when I told him I had $800 worth of tools in the Smart car. He looked at it from end to end and said where? Then waved us on. :)

depending on your accuracy, measuring tools I try to stay name brand (brown and sharp, starrett) but for consumables or bull work tools I use shars Ie. tool holders and carbide incerts. I have axa, bxa, and cxa. I also use their chucks and centers. Just watch the price from the website to shars ebay. Same company, part number, and item but diffrent price. although the store will honor the ebay price

SteveG

Thanks to all for quick and to-the-point feedback. Very helpful. I am actually shopping today or some "stuff" to be used in upcoming bash activities :):biggrin:

Top Bottom