Sharping Jig my simple version

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

pete00

Howdy

I was building some shelves for a bedroom closet over the weekend and had a few pieces left over, just as I was about to throw them into the pile, I put them down in front of the grinder, and poof, brilliant idea number #345. I could use them for a sharpening jig.

I used a couple of 1x 12 and a few 1x3 boards, a bunch of exterior drywall screws and a couple of bolts to secure the grinder to the wood.

All I did was make a sandwich with the 1x12 putting the 1x3 in between. Then screwed it all together, done. The only thing I made sure of was that the sliding 1x3 were centered under the grinding wheel, all the rest just fell into place.

Because the sliding boards stick out the back I put a clamp there to keep it from sliding while sharpening. As the tool becomes shorter I’ll just adjust the clamp to give me the same angle.

I have been sharpening free hand. When I got my tools I marked the length and angle degree of each tool on handle. Figuring if I really messed up I got get it back to the original measurements.

To set the initial marks on the slider, I just put the angle flat on the stone and made a reference mark to go back to.

This worked like a champ. In fact I sharpened everything twice just because it was so easy and fast. I know …I know……..

a block to rest the handle on, and a mark for each tool

2006123182340_Sharp%20Jig%2002.jpg

2006123182432_Sharp%20Jig%2004.jpg

2006123182548_Sharp%20Jig%2007.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ryan

Another nice addition is to put in a t nut on the under side of your top board. This will allow you to lock the slider down with a bolt. you do not want it sliding around while you are using it.

Ryan

fuzzydog

Pete

You might want to look at this site, http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworking/pages/w00115.asp

King Heiple published the plans for the same jig only a beefed up model.
Great minds think alike
David

Well, this thread and my recent purchase of a new grinder inspired me to put together my own version. I've got a pretty small shop, and my rule is that pretty much everything in it needs to be on wheels, and should ideally do double duty.

I was using an old metal file cabinet to store drill press items, and would use the top of it to put either my belt sander on it, or the grinder. I decided to kill two birds with one stone and put a lazy suzy bearing on top of the cabinet, and made my own version of this jig, with a little drawer in the middle to store accessories, like wheel dressers, etc...

I used a 1 inch steel tube I had around for the arm and created a weird wing thing for grinding skews. I used a little short section to mount my veritas tool rest.

Now if I can just keep myself from making jigs for a few days, maybe I can actually turn some pens!

2006416211618_WEB_DSCN1296.jpg

200641621205_WEB_DSCN1301.jpg

2006416212048_WEB_DSCN1304.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom