Sharpening Turning Tools Video

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tn-Steve

Hey Gang,

Since I've got an admirable record in turning sharp things into almost sharp things, and almost sharp things into child safe things while attempting to put a fine edge on them, I'd value your feedback on this video that I've found on youtube. Basic Pen Turning - Lathe Tool Sharpening. Seems like a pretty good technique, I like jigs and anything else that takes the 'ME' out of the process. Seems like if you spend just a little time making sure that you get the initial angle right when marking the jig, it would be a breeze to keep them sharp.

I have to admit that I'm not in love with the idea of using the side of the wheel, but in the later video he says to use just a very light touch on it.

Thanks in Advance

Steve W
Hunkered down awaiting the coming ice storm...

JimB

I built something similar to the setup he uses for the gouges. I used parts from a roller stand from HF that I paid $8 for. It really is that easy. I use the tool rest for scrapers, skew and parting tool as I haven't built a jig for them. I've never seen anyone sharpen a skew on the side like that. For my bowl gouge I free hand. He didn't do one.

Fred

Not to bad, but he is using a high speed grinder. I would put any of my tools up against his for smoothness of cut and finish on the wood ... quite possibly anyone here that uses a wet bath slow speed grinder like the Tormek or JET, would also bet him a beer to beat their sharpness.

Now about the skew, this is one tool that must have a scary sharp edge to perform properly and really put a nice finish on your blanks. With enough practice in it's use, you should be able to start with a finer grit of sandpaper when you get to the finishing stage. Time is also saved this way.

I just don't care to put my tools against a high speed grinder since the grinders main purpose is to reshape edges on things like dull lawnmower blades.

I surely don't want some surgeon to sharpen his surgical knives on any grinder and come to cut on me. Now if he used the Tormek and knew what he was doing, er, maybe I would allow it in the time of an emergency. :cool:

Sharpen a tool on the grinder and when you believe you are finished, check that jagged edge with a decent powered magnifying glass. Then have it sharpened on a Tormek or JET wet bath, slow speed grinder. There is no comparison and this quality of edge will cut far, far better, longer, and do a much nicer job. It also saves a bunch of metal on the tool. :biggrin:

rick_lindsey

Ooh, I think we have a jig like that in the shop. It may be attached to the high speed grinder right now, but there's also a low speed grinder. Is the difference in sharpness from the speed, or does the water bath make a big difference? I've been freehanding my gouges on the belt sander, but this looks like a More Better(tm) option!

Is there an optimal angle for a spindle gouge?

thanks!

-Rick

Top Bottom