Sharpening Tools?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brano11

Im new to most of the woodturning as you can see from my other post. I posted this question in there but not many responces about it. What kind of tools do you all use to sharpen your tools? Im a college student so the cheaper the better for myself, as long as it still works. I wont beable to have a powered sharpener or anything like that because I dont have enough outlets in my shed. Any ideas / help is greatly appreciated.

And also, what is mostly used for in cutting acrylic / woods blanks? I think I know what to use for the woodblanks but not the acrylic?

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Nick

Sharpening

PSI sells a set of Carbide tools for pens. They work great on Acrylic blanks but I use HSS on wood. Then all you would need is a set of those credit card size Diamond Hones.

Last edited:

jeffj13

If the only reason for not having a grinder in your shed is the number of outlets, I would simply plug and unplug my tools as needed. If cost is a consideration, sandpaper and a flat surface like a piece of 1/4" glass (scary sharp) will do the trick although it will take awhile. I know some people who have built a jig for the belt sander and use that.

I use the same HHS chisels for acrylic as I use for wood.

jeff

Dario

A little ingenuity can go a long way. Anything powered (your lathe included) can be jerry rigged to double as sharpening station.

In the Philippines, people are making money sharpening kitchen tools by using their bike (have extra chains to power the grinding stone while the rear wheel is propped up (slow speed grinding too LOL). Another style I saw is transferring the chain from the back wheel to the grinding wheel everytime he sharpens. Then there is this guy who also powers a grinding wheel by lowering the grinding wheel in contact with the bike's wheel (too low for my liking). All of these are pedal powered :D.

Then again the old proven way is by using grinding stone manually. Same principle but you can change the stone with sandpaper, diamond hone, etc.

Brano11

If the only reason for not having a grinder in your shed is the number of outlets, I would simply plug and unplug my tools as needed. If cost is a consideration, sandpaper and a flat surface like a piece of 1/4" glass (scary sharp) will do the trick although it will take awhile. I know some people who have built a jig for the belt sander and use that.

I use the same HHS chisels for acrylic as I use for wood.

jeff

Yea another reason is money problems. Books and college tuition now ays kill me.

Rifleman1776

Im new to most of the woodturning as you can see from my other post. I posted this question in there but not many responces about it. What kind of tools do you all use to sharpen your tools? Im a college student so the cheaper the better for myself, as long as it still works. I wont beable to have a powered sharpener or anything like that because I dont have enough outlets in my shed. Any ideas / help is greatly appreciated.

And also, what is mostly used for in cutting acrylic / woods blanks? I think I know what to use for the woodblanks but not the acrylic?

One outlet is sufficient. You can, and should, only use one machine at a time. Most of the machines in my shop are deliberately set up that way. Yes, I do have to plug/unplug every time I move to a new machine. Most are 15 amp and the extension cord I use runs through a 15 amp surge protector, it would trip if two tools are used at the same time. At days end, I make sure all tools are unplugged. As pointed out, there are, however, options for sharpening. Wet/dry metal sanding papers held in your hand can do the job. Takes practice and certain safety precautions but it works. A diamond file, hand held, will work just fine. BTW, grinders can be found at garage sales and flea markets real cheap. Or you could go to an appliance dealer and ask if you can scavenge motors out of old washing machines. You are a college student, think it through.

MobilMan

Go to Rockler.com. Search 24663 diamond hone $15.99. Would help to know what equipment you have on hand. Disc sander? Belt sander? Does the college have a wood or metal shop you can use? I turn a lot of pens & use only a HSS 3/4 gouge. Have a Wolverine jig but use it very little. When the tool gets a little dull I use the diamond files across the bevel to get it razor sharp again. Don't have to grind all the time. A piece of 800 grit on a 1" diameter piece of dowel held flat on the top of the gouge puts a new edge on top. Have you got a Woodcraft store there. They can sharpen for you.

JimB

I use a 6" grinder I bought for about $20. As others said you should only have one tool running at a time so you don't need a bunch of outlets. My first few weeks I ran everything (lathe, miter saw and grinder) from 1 outlet until I had time (and someone to show me how) to wire more outlets.

marionquill

Take a trip to Harbor Freight Tools - you can pick up a good slow speed wet grinder for ~50 that works just fine and is similar to the Tormac (but $150 cheaper). For any grinder, you'll need a tool to flaten the wheel, woodcraft has them for ~$8. You can also pick up a nice set of HSS lathe tools (large) for $45 and they work just as well as the $80 (per piece) tools (guys don't give me any lip, please - they are both HSS from China and I've used them for two years with no issues and yes, I've tried the expensive onces); anyway a good place to start when you're strapped for cash! I highly recommend getting a slow speed grinder, for a year I sharped by hand and it took several minutes to get the too sharp and when turning acrylic or tru-stone and you have to sharpen often, that really sucked! Good luck!

By the way, I also can only run a couple things at one time: Lamp, Lathe and fan/heater. I have to switch plugs if I want to use the drill press or bandsaw, etc. so outlets shouldn't cause you too much trouble --

Jason

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
I picked up a broken wet sander for short money. It wouldn't hold any water.
But the stone was good, the motor was good.. I soak the stone when I'm
going to use it and that works fine.

I also have a belt/disc sander. I use the 6" belt, but not the disc, since
I have a 12" disc sander already. So I use the 8" disc for sharpening.

I picked up some 8" 220 discs and I can give a gouge a quick sharpen in
2 seconds. I use the tilting table as a jig. I don't do my skew on it, but the
scrapers, dovetail cutter, bedan and roughing gouges come out great.
And they're sharp before you get a chance to build up enough heat to
draw the temper.
(I hate blue chisels..) :rolleyes:

Top Bottom