Sharpening Stone oil...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Len Shreck

I bought a sharpening stone to fine tune my skew and in the instructions is says about making sure I get "Sharpening Stone Oil" I have heard of using something like 3 in 1 oil to sharpen knives, that's what my Grandfather used to use, but I dont ever remember seeing actual sharpening stone oil. Is there something that I might have around the house that would work or would it be better to go find some of the Sharpening stone oil? Thanks all for any and all help as always. Len

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mack C.

Passed Away Sep 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I bought a sharpening stone to fine tune my skew and in the instructions is says about making sure I get "Sharpening Stone Oil" I have heard of using something like 3 in 1 oil to sharpen knives, that's what my Grandfather used to use, but I dont ever remember seeing actual sharpening stone oil. Is there something that I might have around the house that would work or would it be better to go find some of the Sharpening stone oil? Thanks all for any and all help as always. Len
Hi Len; This doesn't answer your question, but I use Ceramic Stones to hone my skew. They will never dish like an oil stone will over time.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=1&p=44628&cat=1,43072

They are never to be used with oil. I use water with a little dish detergent to produce a nice slurry that aids in cleaning the ceramic. I have both grits the 800 & 8000, and I use both depending on how dull I feel my skew is.

Daniel

3 in 1 is fine, any light oil will work but anything used for cooking will probably spoil with time. From what I can tell "Sharpening Stone Oil" is just 3 in 1 in a different can.

Len Shreck

What about something like either a 2 cycle oil or even a synthetic gear oil would that type of stuff work? I dont have any 3 in 1 but have 5w 30 and synthetic gear lube that I got to keep my johnnycnc live center lubed. The stone I bought isnt an expencive one it is just from Sears. Thanks again all Len

Len Shreck

Mack, the one I got at Sears has course on one side and fine on the other side, like I said it is a cheap one. I think I paid like 6.00 or 8.00 for it. The Ceramic ones look nice but I cant afford one of those right now. My Brother has a Ceramic steel that he uses to sharpen our kitchen knives from time to time and he also uses it to sharpen his hunting knife. Thanks for the info though. Len

Last edited:
Hi Len,
I do a fair amount of sharpening on oil stones, mostly carving tools. The oils you mention are not the best. Oil on the stone is to float the swarf and prevent the stone from clogging. The lubricating oils prevent direct steel/stone contact (that's their purpose in the engine). This drastically reduces the cutting speed of your oil stone.
The best material is parafin oil (sold as lamp oil at most hardware stores). Kerosene is also very good but kind of stinky. Wipe the stones clean after use each time, they will last a lifetime.
Hope this helps.

What about something like either a 2 cycle oil or even a synthetic gear oil would that type of stuff work? I dont have any 3 in 1 but have 5w 30 and synthetic gear lube that I got to keep my johnnycnc live center lubed. The stone I bought isnt an expencive one it is just from Sears. Thanks again all Len

Top Bottom