Sharpening Mini Wood Turning Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

termitepenman

I have a slow speed grinder with Oneway jigs for sharpening my full size tools. Using the big grinder and jig on mini turning tools is like using a sledge hammer to drive a tack. My sharpening skills for the mini tools are minimal. Anyone out there have a suggestion for a grinder or jig for mini tools?

Thanks
Dennis
Sacramento,CA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I don't own any mini tools, but I'm not seeing why they can't be easily sharpened using the oneway jigs. Can you explain further?

Rick P

I sharpen mine exactly the same way as the big ones, CAREFUL pass on the grinder and finish with a honing stone.

nava1uni

I was told to turn the grinder on, then off QUICKLY. Sharpen the mini tools as the grinder is 'winding down'.

Dan

Buy the small Oneway platform and that will give you a surface that allows you be keep them steady. Then I do as above and they sharpen nicely. Some of the smaller ones that I have made for making miniatures I sharpen on a Jool Tool, which works really well.
Once sharpened I hone them frequently when using them to turn and that way I don't have to use the grinder too frequently.

Top Bottom