Sharpening jig/system

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Can anyone tell me for sure if the Oneway Wolverine or the PSI Sharpening systems will work with a 6 inch grinder or do they require an 8 inch?

I don't expect to be doing anything much beyond sharpening turning chisels with the grinder so want to keep the priced down on what I buy while still getting a good one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dustmaker

I use the Wolverine on a 6" grinder works fine. I believe you will find though that the 8" will create less of a hollow grind however.

Ok, I am a newbie (and therefore allowed to embarrass myself), and I think this question is related to the OP: Why does the amount of hollow "matter". It seems to me that you need to sharpen well before you have worn down to the hollow, so I am just asking, what benefit is there to the flatness of the bevel? Does a flatter bevel somehow aid in turning?:confused:

Lenny

Ok, I am a newbie (and therefore allowed to embarrass myself), and I think this question is related to the OP: Why does the amount of hollow "matter". It seems to me that you need to sharpen well before you have worn down to the hollow, so I am just asking, what benefit is there to the flatness of the bevel? Does a flatter bevel somehow aid in turning?:confused:

Good question! I knew that it is preferred to have a flat grind (8" grinder better than a 6" for that reason, at least it comes "closer") but I wasn't really sure why. Just one of those things I accepted as truth. :rolleyes:
Most likely there is no such thing as the perfect way, but here is one persons views on the subject....
http://www.bigtreeturnings.com/articles/sharpening1.html

jleiwig

It's a myth spread by 8" grinder manufacturers :biggrin:.

Seriously, mathematically, there's only about .002" more hollow ground radius on a 6" wheel versus the 8" wheel. If someone turning a piece of wood that can move way more than that depending on the humidity and moisture level can tell a difference, well then they are a better person than 99.99% of all people in the world.

The main reason for the 8" versus the 6" wheel is that the 8" spins at a more proper RPM for HSS versus a 6" wheel.

erebus

Depending on the cost of the grinder you might find yourself close to the cost of the Jest Slow Speed Sharpener (Tormek clone). I've heard lots of good things about it...

rjwolfe3

Justin, have you used the T10010? I am thinking of getting something like that as opposed to just a jig for my 6" grinder. Does it work just as easy as a grinder? Is it "stupid" friendly?

jleiwig

Justin, have you used the T10010? I am thinking of getting something like that as opposed to just a jig for my 6" grinder. Does it work just as easy as a grinder? Is it "stupid" friendly?

Other than messing around with it at a store, I have not used it. I don't see how it wouldn't be easy to use as it's a slow/wet grinder much like the tormach and the like. I believe I learned from Bree here on the forum that this is the sheppach unit. You may want to ask her for a long term report as she has had hers for a couple years now I believe.

Top Bottom