Sharpening Gouges

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Irish Pat

Can anyone tell me what is the best way of sharpening roughing gouges,in fact this is my biggest problem with turning.I have a jig which holds the gouge in place but I can't get a perfect profile.The above pic is similar to my own,setting up seems to my problem.

Attachments

• Sorby jig (3).jpg
    Sorby jig (3).jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 251
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bluetongue

I use a flat support set at thr correct angle and just turn the gouge from one wing to the other just as the youtube video states in sbwertz's post. You dont need to put a fingernail profile on a roughing gouge .......its not for detail ....it's for roughing out logs.

BSea

I use a flat support set at thr correct angle and just turn the gouge from one wing to the other just as the youtube video states in sbwertz's post. You dont need to put a fingernail profile on a roughing gouge .......its not for detail ....it's for roughing out logs.
I do the same. It takes 10 seconds to get a decent edge on my roughing gouge. And I use it more than any other tool.

ugrad

Use the flat table part of the jig and set the angle to match the roughing gouge then make sure your gouge is square to the wheel, hold it in line with the wheel and turn the handle of the gouge from one extreme to the other. With a light smooth twist it will take 5 seconds to sharpen.

Regards
Peter

KenV

If you use the Sorby System there is a V-Block jig that is used for spindle roughing gouges

Universal Sharpening System

and down about 2/3s of the way on the page.

A flat table works well also --45 to 60 degree included angle is common at the edge is common (depends on what you are turning most).

I keep the wings back from the center about a mm or two as it helps me use the wings for a skew like peeling cut.

Top Bottom