Sharpening chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewleeheck

I hope this is the right forum for this. I've only been turning for about 4 months, and I think I really need some guidance in sharpening my chisels. I have a bench grinder (2 actually) and probably all the right stuff--except for the technique. Are there any tutorials or sites that can send me in the right direction?

Any information about what shavings should look like (different woods, acrylic, and other materials) would also help me out quite a bit. Thanks!

Andrew

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

vick

Not an expert on this but since no one else has answered here you go.
I have not videos but I will say most hobby turners do not sharpen free hand most use a sharpening jig.
Personally I use the Oneway wolverine and an very happy with it
http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?search=action&keywords=oneway-wolverine
I believe most of the systems are pretty good though based on what other have said. Or are prety easy to make a homemade version.
With out knowing what kind of grinder you have the majority use slow speed grinder with wheels designed for sharpening turning tools. Many vary on the grit I use 80 but used to use 120 some go down as far as 60. SOme hone using slip stones or diamond hones.

Shaving are going to depend on a lot of things and vary grastly between woods. Dont get fooled by the turning videos with 4 foot long shaving they are turning wet wood and you cannot do that with pens. You can easily get that with acrylics though. I go by if you have to apply preasure on the tool to get it to cut your tools are dull. you should just have to control the tool and let it do the cutting.
Hopefully some one who knows more will jump on this post.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Adding to what Vick says, search the archives for sharpening jigs. Several members have made Wolverine equivalents at a much lower cost. Also, for the most part, use your grinder for shaping. Use a hone for refreshing your edge.

Jim15

Hello Andrew.

I think if you go to the Oneway Wolverine web site they have some video clips on how to use their different sharpening jigs. May give you some idea of how to go about sharpening.

PenWorks

Andrew, do some searches on the subject, lots of good stuff out there. Sharp tools will make your turning alot more pleasant,with better results and less sanding. Took me awhile to figure that out myself. I have been using the wolverine system but just bought a Tormek last month.

James,any room under that lathe [:D]

andrewleeheck

Good to know that I'm not the only one with a flat learning curve (sorry, psychology pun) regarding tool sharpening. I'll check out the jigs, hopefully it will reduce the number of truly awesome blanks I'm blowing off the lathe and into my wall!!!

Rifleman1776

It's part of the learning process. And opinions will vary. A master turner showed me results of sharpening with different grits. 60 removes too much metal too fast and burns the ends of the tool, ruining the temper. Difficult to avoid. 100 and 120 do not remove enough metal and basically just polish or hone the edge. He advised 80 grit. I bought the blue 80 grit wheel (Woodcraft, I think) and use it freehand. It doesn't overheat and seems to remove just the right amount of metal to sharpen. Some grinds (bowl scraper) are tricky to freehand. For that I often end up using my 1" belt sander. But what works for you is best. I suggest the 80 grit blue on a 1725 rpm motor.

fuzzydog

Andrew,
Here is a link to Alan Lacer page: http://www.alanlacer.com/
an hour spent reading his articles will turn on many lights about sharpening. Also his DVD's are worth every penny. Start with the Skew the dard side one. the son of skew is more projects, but still worth while.

So proper credit is given Ken Vaughn turned me on to the DVDs and I thank him.

David

Fangar

Originally posted by PenWorks
<br />Andrew, do some searches on the subject, lots of good stuff out there. Sharp tools will make your turning alot more pleasant,with better results and less sanding. Took me awhile to figure that out myself. I have been using the wolverine system but just bought a Tormek last month.

James,any room under that lathe [:D]

Excellent... You will love it. Welcome to the evil club!

At first it was the most expensive tool (for something so simple) that I ever bought. I went back and forth on whether or not to buy it. Especially with all the turning attachments. My wife MADE me buy it for my biorthday one year. But I love it now. The video is helpful too.

Fangar

Russb

Here is the link to the Oneway Wolverine video demo:
Oneway also has a DVD they will send on request.

http://www.oneway.on.ca/multi-media/wolverine_videos.htm

I would also suggest finding a chapter of the AAW in your area and contact a member will to guide you along with sharpening and any woodturning topic.

I have the Tormek and 8" slow speed grinder. I use expensive Norton SC wheels I belive 80 grit. I use the 8" grinder almost exclusively over the Tormek. The Tormek ia a great tool just kind of slow for me. I do not hone, I use the tool straight from the grinder. It is important to use white, blue or pink wheels on the 8" grinder. Tese are just some of the colors put on "friable" wheels. These wheels help prevent heat build up that can ruin carbon steel tools. Using High Speed Steel and the blueing that happens does not remove the temper and HSS also holds an edge longer when turning.

Just remember though, a jig is just an aid. To get the proper grind you need to know what shape you want on the tool. This is where experienced turners can help. The best tool you can get is a membership in a local chapter of the AAW.

http://www.woodturner.org/community/chapters/members.pl?submit=Chapter+List

KenV

If you join the American Association of Woodturners in 2006 along with your membership you will get a DVD with 4 master turners sharpening tools. While all similar, there are differences. I found the DVD to be a good bonus of membership. If you located a chapter of AAW, perhaps you can borrow one while waiting for your own to come in the mail.

Go to www.woodturner.org for membership information as well as many other general woodturning topics. A number of master penturners are members including President Angelo Iafrate.

My suggestion is to only use high speed steel tools to start with. You have to heat the edge to red hot to lose temper (1100 degrees F) vs about 400 degrees and blue for high carbon steel. Cheap HSS tools with some sweat equity to tune them up will give you great turning and good value.

The easiest way to learn how to sharpen is to have somone show you. Join a club near you. The DVD from AAW I hear is very good.

As to a 60 grit wheel ruining your the temper of your tool is simply not true with today's HSS.

From Alan Lacer
My advice: if you have an 8" grinder look for wheels that sell for between $25 and $55 and you'll be fine. Two other critical aspects of the wheels: grit size and hardness. I like to work with two different grits on my grinder. For initial shaping of a tool or any other heavy grinding operation I like to have a 36 or 46 grit wheel. For the actual process of sharpening an edge I prefer either a 60 (the new 54 grits are close enough) or 80 grit. My ideal is a 60 grit on the left side of my grinder (I am right handed, reverse this if you are a lefty) and a 36 grit on the other side.

http://www.alanlacer.com/articles/grinding_part_1.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom