Shark Bites

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Herb G

Has anyone used Shark Bites connectors for plumbing?
How did they hold up? Are they safe to leave under full pressure 24/7 ?
Were they easy to install?

I can't sweat pipe for chit, and I need to find a way to install a hose bib.
Thanks for any help, links, etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rwfish

I have used them in my garage in South Florida without any issues. I dont know how much I would trust them if they are exposed to a climate prone to freezing and thawing. They do have an o-ring actually makes the seal.

PatrickR

I have used them a couple times. No issues after two years in use. They do not hold the joint immobile, so plan on supporting it in someway. Very easy to install.

Talltim

I have used them, no problems. Some folks plumb their whole house with them.

I have never tried them on a pen kit. That might be a different thing altogether.

Then of course there was the guy I saw on the news that got one at the ocean. It didn't look like it helped him at all.

Last edited:
Has anyone used Shark Bites connectors for plumbing?
How did they hold up? Are they safe to leave under full pressure 24/7 ?
Were they easy to install?

I can't sweat pipe for chit, and I need to find a way to install a hose bib.
Thanks for any help, links, etc.

Herb,
I live in a modular in east Tennessee... so far I calculate I have about 20 of the shark bite connectors under my house going back about 12 years... they are easy to install and have never had one fail... they will not fit PVC pipes, But we have some kind of gray plastic piping under the house and they work perfectly for that... we don't get a lot of cold, but we have had several cold days over the years and no problem with freezing. Mine stay under pressure constantly... I did put a pressure reducer under the house as we had too much pressure from the water company.

Installation is easy, they just slip on to the pipe and have to have a special tool to pull back...

rwfish

Glad to hear this, we are planning to move out of South Florida to the Chattanooga TN (where it gets cold I hear) area in the near future. I have been in this heat all my life and never dealt with freezing. Is there anything this forum cant answer?

Charlie_W

I only used two of these shark bite fittings years ago on a job. I guess they have held up but don't know for sure.
The fitting/pipes did have some movement after being fully inserted. I am leary of their long term usage. I see o rings and other rubber products deteriorate with exposure to the elements. Toilet flapper flush valves don't hold up over time. Rubber compresses and becomes hard with time.
I would sleep better at night with L grade rigid copper pipe and solder or a brass compression coupling.
Are the shark bite fittings approved for concealment in walls or ceilings? I have not heard whether they are or not.

crokett

My old house has Sharkbites connecting the washer and a few others in other places. The Sharkbites were all supposed to be 'temporary'. That was 8 years ago, and they are still there and are still in place. They are expensive and I don't think I'd plumb a whole house with them, but for a 1-off they'd work fine, especially if you don't have the tools - PEX crimper or the gear to sweat copper.

Woodchipper

Glad to hear this, we are planning to move out of South Florida to the Chattanooga TN (where it gets cold I hear) area in the near future. I have been in this heat all my life and never dealt with freezing. Is there anything this forum cant answer?
I live 35 miles north of Chattanooga. It is colder than south Florida but not as cold as other places I've lived. Cincinnati- January, 1982 was 41 below with wind chill 61 below. This part of the country is at the midsection of fronts. Top of warm fronts from the south and cold fronts from the north. Never any long stretches of cold like some places- up and down. You could search for a weather almanac for Chattanooga.
When do you plan on moving? Will you be working in Chattanooga? I would be cautious about Chattanooga unless you like to sit in traffic. Cleveland is still a bit small town, much lower crime rate, and lower property taxes. Let me know by PM, I can send my cell number, and I can introduce you to a great real estate agent. Wife has known her for several years.
Before I forget, we have a Woodcraft store in Chattanooga and I belong to the Dalton Area Woodturners Guild- DAWG. Look forward to hearing from you.

Jim Smith

While I can not say that I am familiar with Sharkbites, I can say that sweating a copper joint is not difficult to do at all. Like Maxwell smart007 stated, copper will outlast you unless it is allowed to freeze with still water in the pipe. I've see how much damage can occur with a water leak, why would anyone take a chance with a product that is stated to be for temporary use, no matter how long some of the connections have laste?

Jim Smith

tomas

I haven't used the shark. I, too, have problems sweating joints. I tried plumbing epoxy and won't use anything else. I have joints that have been under pressure for nearly 30 years with nary a problem.

Tomas

PatrickR

While I can not say that I am familiar with Sharkbites, I can say that sweating a copper joint is not difficult to do at all. Like Maxwell smart007 stated, copper will outlast you unless it is allowed to freeze with still water in the pipe. I've see how much damage can occur with a water leak, why would anyone take a chance with a product that is stated to be for temporary use, no matter how long some of the connections have laste?

Jim Smith

These are not temporary. Rated for in wall and underground. Not cheap but a well made product. I don't mind sweating copper but I don't do it enough to be very good at it. These were a good solution to the problems I was having.

Top Bottom