Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from kludge77

kludge77

Shallow walnut box

egg041.jpg

egg039.jpg

egg038.jpg

3 1/2 x 1 or so. Danish Oil

Some sanding marks on the inside (I'll best them sooner or later)... but I'm still pleased with the end product.

C&C welcome

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

IPD_Mr

OK Peter, the grain looks like the lid and body match perfect, yet there is a lip on the body to hold the lid in place. How did you do that?

animefan

Great job on the box. The finish and grain pattern look great. As far as the sanding lines, I still have those too.:redface: Try using a cordless drill for power sanding.

kludge77

The thinner the kerf the better the grain match... Kinda a cool effect. It's more noticeable with a burl or wild grain. There is about an 1/8 gap but it still matches pretty well due to the straight grain.

If you look at the knot you can see it the missing section.

Last edited:

IPD_Mr

Either way you go it still looks good to me. I still need to find time to play with bowls. You guys that do, I am envious of.

PaulDoug

That is a great piece of turning and a very pretty result. If I had to critic (and you asked) I'd have spent a little more time on the sanding and gotten rid of all the tiny circular lines. I know that is being nit-picky, and I don't think I could do any better, but I do see lines. Not even sure how you get rid of them, other than a little grain direction sanding. I read that you have already notices this. I think black walnut is one of the harder ones to get rid of lines from.

It is a very beautiful turn. Only wish I could do as well.

Last edited:

kludge77

Paul-

I totally asked. And I appreciate it. I always want to improve. I might try some hands sanding and see what happens...

nava1uni

Peter,
This is a very nice looking bowl. I have found that sanding with either oil (walnut or mineral) or a mixture of mineral oil and wax. I was at a meeting with Mike Mahoney and he uses walnut oil for sanding and it really makes a big difference.

David Keller

Nicely done, Peter! The wet sanding technique suggested above is one that's served me well... I use BLO usually. I like the form, but I'm a bit concern that the thin tenon would be at risk for breaking with heavy hands. If the lid fits loosely, it's not as big a concern.

el_d

I like it Peter.

I got some chunks of Walnut from you that I havent gotten around to yet but this makes me want to go look thru the box.

Top Bottom