Several Firsts for me...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SuperDave

SuperDave

... as I have not posted any photographs for a long time due to many factors.

Firsts:

1. First closed end Writing Instrument
2. First Corian blank
3. First drilling on my lathe vs. drill press
4. First use of my ER32 Collet Chuck and collets
5. First time wet sanding

What I learned:

Closed end is not as difficult as it first looked. I doubt I will be using the end caps in the kits any time soon.

I got some White Corian from Michale's classified ad. It was a joy to turn. Nice thing about the Corian: The ribbons crumble! So keeping the lathe running is a welcome advantage.

Drilling on the lathe is 10x more accurate than the drill press and jig. I was able to use 3/4" blanks on a full sized Gentleman's kit and the holes were spot on from end to end!

Using the ER32 Collet Chuck has improved the overall quality immeasurably. Will never go back to a traditional mandrel.

Wet sanding really is the way to go. I started with 320 grit wet/dry and went through 12K MM and the results are superior.

Gentleman with Caribbean Swirl and White Corian. The barrel shape fits the hand perfectly. It was going to California as a wedding gift... but may stay here...;)

Pictures could be better but I don't have the time to mess with it right now...

2008611182613_Gent%20Blue%20and%20White.jpg

200861118277_Gent%20Blue%20and%20White%20Closed.jpg

2008611182727_Gent%20Blue%20and%20White%20End.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulDoug

Beautiful pen. How did you like turning corian? What did you hold the blank with to drill it? the collet Chuck? I've wanted to drill blanks on my lathe but I don't have anything to hold them. Again, very nice job on that pen.

SuperDave

Paul,

Thanks for the kind words.

The Corian was a dream to work with.

I used my Oneway Stronghold Bowl Chuck with the long (nose) jaw set to hold the blanks. One blank was round and the white Corian was square.

MobilMan

That is a very nice pen. Never thought about mixing Corian & Acrylic. Got me to thinking. Try ebay. I got 100 blanks for $42.00 including shipping. By golly, I'd have second thoughts about giving that one away.

jskeen

Some people around here don't seem to like mixed material pens, but I think that's a great match. Only thing that would improve it, IMHO, would be a custom finial turned from the corian to replace the black button on the cap.

PaulDoug

OK Dave, here's the challenge, if you replace the black on the finial, you need to replace the black on the band. I know you can do it!:)

igran7

Beautiful Pen Dave. I am in the minority about mixed media pens, I LOVE THEM! And you pulled it off wonderfully. Glad to see you taking the plunge with closed-enders. Again great work!:):D[:p][8D]

SuperDave

Originally posted by igran7

Beautiful Pen Dave. I am in the minority about mixed media pens, I LOVE THEM! And you pulled it off wonderfully. Glad to see you taking the plunge with closed-enders. Again great work!:):D[:p][8D]

Thanks Joe... after seeing all your closed end creations over the past months, it was time to take a stab at it.

What method do you use to remove the finial in the cap?

We still need to get together for a casting party...

Dave

SuperDave

Originally posted by airrat

Nice color combination Dave. The pen looks great and balanced.

Thanks Tom,

The pen fits great in the hand, with the "bulge" fitting nicely in the crook of my hand. Even my wife likes the feel. Given that it is a full size Gentleman, I feel I got "lucky" with the final fit.

... now about that finial and center band....[:p]

Top Bottom