Series 2000 flat tops

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bitshird

This is rapidly becoming my most hated kit, the first couple I did were pretty decent so I ordered 10 more, I turned 2 last night, one was on some beautiful Brazilian Ebony the other on Paduk, the cap thread section/center band slipped over the tube on the Paduk, (can you say super glue)sure ya can.
On the Ebony the tennon looked great, no glue on it, and it was a <s>snug</s> Nay shall we say extremely tight fit. So tight that when it finally went on it went it split the bottom of the tube (can you say the idiot had it cocked to one side) I can, the Paduk was a fountain pen and apparently the end of the tube was burred, which left a nice scratch in the nib section the first time I put it together.
The Ebony which was very pretty:( has drove me nuts trying to get the Centerband off with out ruining it, I can't turn it off, I don't have extra tubes, some how I ordered extra tubes for the plain flat top American, I still haven't figured that out, it was my fault though, I checked the order. and I don't want to rob other kits.
OK rant over.:(:(:(:(:(

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

redfishsc

I've always wanted to try this kit b/c it's so pretty, but I have avoided it because even Bill at Arizona Silhouette admitted that the threads (metal on metal) are scratchy feeling.

BigShed

Now you tell me! Just got some of these in, they are the filigree type that AS is clearing out and I thought I'd have a play with them.

As the saying goes "try anything once":D

airrat

Ken I have made a good number of these. I set up to avoid those by sanding the inside of the tube some to clear any burs, I always put the center band on loose first to make sure the everything fits then I glue it on. I do it this way due to the tight fit problem you had causing the tube to crimp slightly, this problem really shows on the flattop.

redfishsc

If they are anything like the Americana Roller/fountain snap from CSA, the brass tube will end up scratching the post and the writing end anyhow. I quit making the CSA kit specifically for that (and the brittle snap cap). I sure wish they'd update these pens with sensible threads like the Baron/JrGentII . Yes, I HAVE spoken to CSA about it and, well, all I got was a basic "it would be a good idea".

So is saving my money for kits that are worth it.

bitshird

Originally posted by BigShed

Now you tell me! Just got some of these in, they are the filigree type that AS is clearing out and I thought I'd have a play with them.

Fred, I think that is just the regular flattop with the filigree , not the series 2000, the 2000 has a removable and postable cap, The 2000 do tend to have slightly rough threads though, [}:)][}:)][}:)] but for the price, they look pretty nice when they fit[8]

BigShed

Originally posted by bitshird

Originally posted by BigShed

Fred, I think that is just the regular flattop with the filigree , not the series 2000, the 2000 has a removable and postable cap, The 2000 do tend to have slightly rough threads though, [}:)][}:)][}:)] but for the price, they look pretty nice when they fit[8]

G'day Ken, I am by no means an expert on kits, and have never made a Flat Top, but the AS website

http://www.arizonasilhouette.com/Clearance.htm

calls these Series 2000. So that is what I went by. You're right, can't complain about the price, so I had a few of each included with my order from them.

Top Bottom