Sept 11, 2011 meeting

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
At my house in Pleasanton. If you don't have my address send me an email.

Show off the eggs (and boxes for those running late with their boxes), hopefully demo casting (I have to order resin).

Food ideas?

turn4fun

Hi Everyone.. Connie and I will be there. Food ideas.. we'd be happy with simple sandwiches, soda pop, chips etc. After others chime in and food decisions get made, we'll be glad to help bring whatever is needed. We might not have much to show in the way of new turnings, but we'll enjoy seeing everyone's eggs and lidded boxes. Our turning has been at a near moratorium since the meeting at our house. Three enjoyable trips in our RV, a new young puppy, and a current family problem have mostly kept us out of our shop.

We are really looking forward to seeing everyone and resuming our turning. We both need some shop time to help restore our sanity. Definitely interested in learning as much as we can about casting pen blanks.. Connie and Larry

Greg.. when we came to our first meeting at your house, there were several dogs in your backyard. Is it ok to bring one or both of our dogs? Our 13 year old lab would easily hang out in the backyard. Our exuberent 9 month old puppy would love playing with all the other dogs, but might take off if she could get out of the backyard.

turn4fun

Hi Again Greg.. I just re-read your post about the meeting. You mentioned that you had to buy resin. I assume we are all pitching in and paying for the casting materials. I didn't see any mention of that in your post so maybe this was discussed at the last meeting which we missed because we were away on a trip. Please let us all know about how much we all need to chip in. Thanks.. Larry Rayher

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Greg.. when we came to our first meeting at your house, there were several dogs in your backyard. Is it ok to bring one or both of our dogs? Our 13 year old lab would easily hang out in the backyard. Our exuberent 9 month old puppy would love playing with all the other dogs, but might take off if she could get out of the backyard.

The girls would love to have company!

Hi Again Greg.. I just re-read your post about the meeting. You mentioned that you had to buy resin. I assume we are all pitching in and paying for the casting materials. I didn't see any mention of that in your post so maybe this was discussed at the last meeting which we missed because we were away on a trip. Please let us all know about how much we all need to chip in. Thanks.. Larry Rayher

Somewhere we talked about it. Yes, those who do the casting will be expected to chip in. Maybe $5 per cast, which is 3 full-size blanks.
Now... If you and Connie are really thinking you will be getting into this more, you could buy the resin and we would chip in to you and what ever is left over would be yours to take home again and continue the fun...
Let me know which way you want to go. Either way, we need to order it pretty soon.

turn4fun

Greg.. I wouldn't mind getting the resin but I'd need to know more about what and how much to get. We have a Michael's Craft Store and a Tap Plastics here in Santa Rosa. I'm hoping that the resin materials have a reasonably long shelf life, because it sounds like we'd bring a fair amount of materials back home. Do you know what the shelf life is? How much and what materials do we need for the meeting?.. Larry

P.S... Sounds like we might be traveling with two dogs.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Greg.. I wouldn't mind getting the resin but I'd need to know more about what and how much to get. We have a Michael's Craft Store and a Tap Plastics here in Santa Rosa. I'm hoping that the resin materials have a reasonably long shelf life, because it sounds like we'd bring a fair amount of materials back home. Do you know what the shelf life is? How much and what materials do we need for the meeting?.. Larry

Hi Larry,

It is up to you if you want to order it or not. I'm willing to do so.
We have 10 people who answered the poll with a "Yes" vote. I figure at least a couple of them are more than one person so 12 people casting. 4 ounces per cast is 48 ounces total.

I want to get the Alumilite Water Clear resin. They have their 32oz sets for $25 so I was going to order 2 sets. The PR resins (Michael's, silmar, etc) are WAYYY too stinky to use. Drives Kim nuts. AND it takes 4-5 hours to set whereas the Alumilite takes 10 minutes or so.

http://alumilite.com/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Casting Resins&Name=Alumilite Water Clear

They say it has a shelf life of about 6 months but I've had it last longer if kept in a cool dry area.

Let me know.

avbill

Greg, Just cleared the day with the boss. I will like to cast also. I could bring feathers if people would like that. Will bring my potato salad.

kludge77

I'm totally in. And excited about seeing some casting. My wife has a parrot and I could bring some feathers too...

I'll pitch in whatever. As far as food, just tell me what is needed and I'll bring it.

ldubia

I have some odds and ends I can bring for people to cast if they want to. I love the feather ideas. Are we to use the resin savers or the standard molds? I have all kinds of things to add and have a couple of dyes to bring.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
I have some odds and ends I can bring for people to cast if they want to. I love the feather ideas. Are we to use the resin savers or the standard molds? I have all kinds of things to add and have a couple of dyes to bring.

Bring any molds you have. Folks can see the differences and decide what they want to buy.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Food ideas?

Ok, Sandwiches++ it is.

Bread and rolls - Cindy
Chips and Salsa - Art
Potato Salad - Bill
Meats and Cheese - Greg
Fruit Salad -
Plates and utensils -
Sodas -
Dessert -
Salad ? -
Other -

I have 3 tables and 6 chairs but if people can bring more that would be good since casting is a "everyone sit at the table" type thing.

ldubia

I have two tables to bring. I will also bring Other (Bwahahaha) and plates and utensils. I will also bring my EZ-up.

Unfortunately, I have no chairs.

Does anyone need redwood or manzanita?

Last edited:

turn4fun

Hi Greg,

Connie and I will bring plates and utensils and a couple of chairs. It might be easier if you order the casting materials since you have all the info. I'll be glad to reimburse you for it and take what's left home after the meeting. Please let me know if that's what you'd like to do. I'm excited about the casting and like the idea of making feather blanks.. Larry Rayher

turn4fun

Hey Larry.. I could use some manzanita. How large/small are the pieces and is any of it burl? Look forward to seeing you again. Regards.. Larry Rayher

kludge77

I can bring my card table and a couple of folding chairs.

I'll can bring a dessert, like cookies (wife has some awesome cookie recipes) or something else that travels well.

darcisowers

we can bring dessert. Million dollar question: do you want brownies or bday cake? Are you tired of brownies yet? :wink: And another related question, who (other than Andy and myself) had/will be having a birthday in june to sept? :cake:

we have an ez up (and two chairs) that we can bring.

ooooh - what to cast?? I know Andy's had an idea in mind for casting, although I'm not sure he's close enough to cast THAT idea, but we will be bringing something. :biggrin:

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Casting and Resin

I ordered 64 ounces of resin today. That should be enough for 1 4-ounce cast for everyone (3-blank block) and a few additional casts for people who want to try something other than a block.

Here's the caveat. I have one pressure pot so 3 or four molds can be cast at a time if they need pressure. For "blocks", you really don't need pressure. But for "imbedded items" you really do.

Feathers: I've never done them. I've never heard of anyone doing them with Alumilite. We can "play" but no guarantees.

Imbedded objects: I've never done them, so let's play. If they are really complex then Alumilite may not be the best. It is a little thick so won't get into the nooks and crannies as easily as PR and you can't do vacuum-then-pressure due to the quick curing time.

All that being said, we will not be doing any PR. The smell is so strong that it permeates the whole house even when the casting is done outside, well away from the closed-up house. And Kim HATES the smell.

Look forward to seeing everyone!!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
Project ideas for Dec/Jan meeting?

Last meeting was boxes. This meeting is eggs. Any ideas for next meeting? It has to be something mini-lathe capable.

Hmmmm what about some sort of Christmas ornament? People could play and then show off whatever they don't give away at the next meeting.

Or? I'm up for anything!

turn4fun

It might be fun to let it be ANY ornament and see what everyone comes up with. But I'm sure open to all of us doing the same kind of ornament.. Larry Rayher

turn4fun

Greg,

Thanks for ordering the casting materials. Even though I said I'd like to make a feather blank, and I would, maybe I'd better focus on the basics and do something simpler since I've never done this before. Am looking forward to seeing your pressure pot.

Larry Rayher

ldubia

how about making something miniature?
Sow off. :biggrin: Take you to a wood working show at the museum with lots of miniatures and now she wants to show off.

If anyone is interested in going, it is at the Santa Cruz Art Museum. All I can say is WOW!! (Drool, drool).

nava1uni

how about making something miniature?
Sow off. :biggrin: Take you to a wood working show at the museum with lots of miniatures and now she wants to show off.

If anyone is interested in going, it is at the Santa Cruz Art Museum. All I can say is WOW!! (Drool, drool).

It was a great show with some stunning woodworking and some turning also. Yes, lots of drooling.

turn4fun

Just want to be sure what time the meeting starts. Does it start at 11:00am and is setup between 10:00 and 11:00? Thanks.. Larry Rayher

Top Bottom