Sentimental Civil War Pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from FourOaksCrafts

These pics are in no way intended to make a political statement. My dad is from Michigan and my mom from Georgia. And I love studying our family history. Anyway, I found this old portrait of my g-g-grandfather in my grandmother's things. Thought it would be a fitting backdrop for my Civil War Pens. It kinda makes for a "the pen's mightier than the sword" theme as well.

Attachments

• IMG_5006.jpg
    IMG_5006.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_5007.jpg
    IMG_5007.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 177
  • IMG_5008.jpg
    IMG_5008.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 192
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bkersten

Looks to ba a sword over the right shoulder - must have been an officer/Sir. Was he in a unit that was here at Gettysburg, if so which. I do my CW pens from the witness wood from here, and obtained LEGALLY.

Last edited:
Looks to ba a sword over the right shoulder - must have been an officer/Sir. Was he in a unit that was here at Gettysburg, if so which. I do my CW pens from the witness wood from here, and obtained LEGALLY.

My records show he was a private and served on a artillery battery. My grandmother passed the portrait down to my mom. I also compared later pics of my g-g-grandfather to this one and they appear to be the same facial features.

I also had the idea of finding old Civil War era muskets and using wood from the stock. But not sure about the costs and also seems a shame to cut up a genuine musket from that time period.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Very nice job on those pens!

My gg-grandfather was a mounted cavalryman for the South. He was a private & had a sword. One of my cousins still has his sword.

I bought some pen blanks that were made from old Confederate musket stocks from Greg Holub over at Woodbarter.com a while back. The price was very reasonable. Here's his website if you want to check if he might have any more available. At the time, he was offering both stabilized & unstabilized. I bought unstabilized blanks because I wanted a natural look & feel. They turned just fine & look great.
Treecycle Hardwoods

Here's a photo of my gg-grandfather on a blank that Cody Walker (cwalker935) made for me and a pen that I made from one of the musket blanks. This one had a small burned spot that I was able to incorporate into the finished pen - I really like the look of it.

Attachments

• CivilWarPens_AdolphHaun_Musket.jpg
    CivilWarPens_AdolphHaun_Musket.jpg
    241 KB · Views: 141
Very nice job on those pens!

My gg-grandfather was a mounted cavalryman for the South. He was a private & had a sword. One of my cousins still has his sword.

I bought some pen blanks that were made from old Confederate musket stocks from Greg Holub over at Woodbarter.com a while back. The price was very reasonable. Here's his website if you want to check if he might have any more available. At the time, he was offering both stabilized & unstabilized. I bought unstabilized blanks because I wanted a natural look & feel. They turned just fine & look great.
Treecycle Hardwoods

Here's a photo of my gg-grandfather on a blank that Cody Walker (cwalker935) made for me and a pen that I made from one of the musket blanks. This one had a small burned spot that I was able to incorporate into the finished pen - I really like the look of it.

Great looking pens! And thanks for the tip on the wood blanks? Is the musket stock wood walnut? I asked that question over on the Georgia Outdoor News forum and some were telling me they thought it would be walnut.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
[
Great looking pens! And thanks for the tip on the wood blanks? Is the musket stock wood walnut? I asked that question over on the Georgia Outdoor News forum and some were telling me they thought it would be walnut.

Thanks - I'm pretty certain that they are walnut.

I believe the price that I paid was $8 ea for unstabilized & that the stabilized ones were $10. He tries to maximize the number of blanks he can get from a piece of old stock wood, so they are just about 1/8" longer than a CW tube.

I might have one left if Greg doesn't have any available right now.

Top Bottom