Semi Urgent Poll

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jimbob91577

Of Slimlines, Sierras, and capped fountain/rollerball pens - what do you think would sell the best at a drag race?

I'm looking at making about a dozen or two pens, but only have the resources to order one style at the moment. I have some (4) capped FP kits on hand and am trying to settle on either ordering more of the same, or ordering a 10 pack of sierra kits. This question is semi urgent as I have to order them this weekend for the race in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Jim Smith

I think that the Sierra kits with the black and red flame blanks might be well recevied. You also might consider looking into some of the makes of cars going to be there and try for some decals/logos on the blanks.

Just a thought...

Jim Smith

OKLAHOMAN

I'm with Stan on this, if the show has anything other than Art, or Craft in the name I'll pass. When I started doing shows I did a NSRA (National Street Rod Asso.) show at the fairgrounds with one building dedicated to crafts, over 3.000 street rods and 30-40 thousand in attendance. At times in the building the quiet was deafening, plenty of money was spent in the 3 days at the other buildings that sold Street rod merchandise, the patrons are not there looking for Art or craft merchandise they come to see cars, buy car parts, same thing with gun shows, county fairs, & mid-evil fairs.

JohnU

Everyone needs or uses a pen at some time or another. How much they want to spend is something else. If your unsure, stick to simple lower end pens. Most people dont have a problem paying al ittle for a nice pen, and there are more common people than those who will pay top dollar. Just attack their interest groups and use visual aids. Maybe a car tire with some rubber grip pens on them, checker wood pens near the checkered flag, or maybe a matchbox car of a nascar to match the color of the pens. Mix them in with the others and you will get people to look at them all. Hey has anyone come up with a spark plug pen yet? Bruce???

Why not cigar pens? Masculine pens with that hex nut on the finial, show that feature to the mechanically inclined in the crowd. As has been pointed out, maybe try to tie in the design with visual elements associated with drag racing.

S

spiritwoodturner

I have to side with Stan and Roy, color me a bit skeptical. That said, I'm a pretty firm believer you'll never know 'til you try. I wouldn't have a clue what they'd want, so I think I would take a bit of everything. That doesn't help you, but asking what would sell at a unique venue is sorta crystal ball stuff. I'm hoping you didn't have to pay much to get into this, because personally, the few times I've been to drag races the draws for me were beer, and those fine....chassis....of.... the ....cars. My guess is that's what will be on most guys' minds, not pens. Make pens with decals of semi-naked girls and you'll probably sell a hundred of 'em. Please show us your work.

Dale

timberview4

Roadster...

CSUSA has a kit called the Apprentice Roadster. Probably not what your looking for, but I couldn't pass on the name. :) Good Luck.

gmcnut

Cav,

Did I win? LOL! No. It's like the lottery. You have to play to win. It is kind of interesting the variety of anual events that there are out there.

I was trying to find a bit from an old Monty Python skectch but couldn't. The youtube link was the best I could find.

Rifleman1776

I don't see this crowd as being pen buyers.
However, if you really want to try, I would suggest a click style for fast, one-handed working. Use theme colors, decals, etc. Sell to the wives and girlfriends as gifts.

cozee

I would venture to say that unless you were attending a more upper end event, you will probably not sell much. Most die hard gear heads are more interested into putting every extra dollar (and then some) into going faster.

The Sierras with the flame kits might draw some attention or if there were kits out that had celtic type graphics or more realistic looking skulls (hint hint!!)

Top Bottom