Selling vs Giving (inspired by "Unfullfilled" thread)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I have the luxury of not having to sell my pens. I do donate for fundraisers and give a lot of them away. Years ago I made a commercial venture out of tying trout flies, and that ultimately had a very negative effect on joy of tying flies. I do not want the same thing to happen with turning pens.

It is interesting to read how production turners discuss ways of speeding up the process, while I do just the opposite. The faster I go the more this hobby costs me!

I turn mostly for kits that many refer to low end, but if I am giving them away I can't be using the more expensive kits. My bride would not be pleased as she thinks this hobby costs enough as it is. People on the receiving end of my pens are thrilled to have them. The last thing I want to do is make a production out of this, although recovering costs would not be a bad idea.

The suggestions to turn other things is excellent. I also make corn holders, bottle stoppers, kaleidoscopes, fly rod reel seats, etc.

This is a wonderful forum and I have received many great ideas here. It is refreshing to see the professional and novice contributing and relating to each other. Hopefully I can someday contribute in a meaningful way.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

I have the luxury of not having to sell my pens. I do donate for fundraisers and give a lot of them away. Years ago I made a commercial venture out of tying trout flies, and that ultimately had a very negative effect on joy of tying flies. I do not want the same thing to happen with turning pens.

It is interesting to read how production turners discuss ways of speeding up the process, while I do just the opposite. The faster I go the more this hobby costs me!

I turn mostly for kits that many refer to low end, but if I am giving them away I can't be using the more expensive kits. My bride would not be pleased as she thinks this hobby costs enough as it is. People on the receiving end of my pens are thrilled to have them. The last thing I want to do is make a production out of this, although recovering costs would not be a bad idea.

The suggestions to turn other things is excellent. I also make corn holders, bottle stoppers, kaleidoscopes, fly rod reel seats, etc.

This is a wonderful forum and I have received many great ideas here. It is refreshing to see the professional and novice contributing and relating to each other. Hopefully I can someday contribute in a meaningful way.

I think you just did, by reminding us why we are all here in the first place. This is a great forum, sometimes I take for granted the community that is here.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I have about 50 slimlines kits that I haven't touched in a while. I do think there are PLENTY of creativity and originality for those kits that have not been touched. That comes up in my mind from time to time and I mull that over. One of these days, I am going to give it a go. "Splinter99" used to do some great creations with those.

I travel 2 to 4 hours a day in my work (90% expressway) so my mind is regularly occupied with designs and ideas that I want to try some day. While I don't have the time to experiment currently, I do want to move into the closed end pens and custom clips and even nibs.

And turning other things: I want to make a lamp (thinking about it) I want to make some pendants. I made a few bowls and plates and they were exciting.

I get lots of ideas from the occasional turner as well as from those who do this as a profession. There are always a few new people that come on and indicate that they are going to turn the pen turning world on end - only to burn out quickly - then there are those that DO turn it on end with new creations and ideas! Someone commented recently on the best pens of today versus those of 3 and 4 years ago - it has advanced considerably! And then there are some of the old timers that continue to advance the concepts also. Those are the ones that I admire - refusing to be trapped into a single time period of pen creation!

redfishsc

Definitely great post!

While I only occasionally give away a pen (recently gave a couple to a benefit auction), I actually get a big kick out of making so many pens from wood that has sentimental value.

So far this year, I've made pens from bamboo that grew in the back yard of someone's childhood home, 6 pens from wood from seminary campus (the old Wake Forest College campus) including wood from pews and the steeple of the chapel, wood from the house of a famous hymn writer, wood from a pre-civil war era house, and probably a good handful of others I can't remember.

In every case they act as if I were the true generous person, never mind that they are spending a fairly hefty chunk of change on a pen. That is a GREAT feeling ;).

Now, about that comment about trying to keep it from feeling like "production"--- that is SO true and so difficult sometimes! The moment something has a deadline on it, it becomes somewhat of a drag.

mdburn_em

I end up giving a lot away as well. Mostly, as you said, they're the low(er) end kits.

I keep a stock of pens in pink acrylic, slimlines and Olympia's. I will either give them away or sometimes ask they make a donation to WABC in a loved ones name.

Sometimes there are tears.

Scott

Hi Herb!

I agree with you! I like to make a few pens for special friends. Quite often while I'm thinking of a design I'd like to try, I'm also thinking of a person to give it to.

I applaud the members who sell their pens! But I'm afraid I don't have the concentration or the dedication to join them. I am happy to make a few one-off pens, and gift them to those who they seem to be meant for.

I think it's great that we all are friends here, and can help each other enjoy penturning even better! Herb, with your post here, you have helped me enjoy this process better. Thanks!

Scott.

dogcatcher

I give away a lot more than I sell. I had a reunion in May of guys I served with in Vietnam, I made 39 cartridge pens with leather uppers. There was 34 guys that were in country when I was, they all went home with a new pen. I spent most of 1999 and 2000 in the hospital and Doctors offices, now just about every time I go to the Doctor someone on the staffs gets a pen. I figure they saved my hide and few dollars in pens and wood is a good way to say thanks.

Nick

I give away a lot more than I sell. I had a reunion in May of guys I served with in Vietnam, I made 39 cartridge pens with leather uppers. There was 34 guys that were in country when I was, they all went home with a new pen. I spent most of 1999 and 2000 in the hospital and Doctors offices, now just about every time I go to the Doctor someone on the staffs gets a pen. I figure they saved my hide and few dollars in pens and wood is a good way to say thanks.

Very nice post.
It is because of you and all the service men and women who made sacrifices and hardships far more than most of us can imanagine. It is your dedicated service to our country that I thank you.

Top Bottom