Segmenting material links

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

Inlay materials

I saw, a while ago, a thread on segmenting materials. I can't find it. Can someone help please.

Thanks,

Jason

I normally use cue maker supplies like cue veneers or Prathers , Cue man billiard supply .

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
In addition to what Farmer mentioned (which I have looked at), these two sites have been on my list the past year.

D and D Hardwoods: 1/16" milled stock as well as up to 1/2" thick stock. These are good to try if you don't have a thickness sander.

D & D Woodcrafts, Hardwood Lumber Packs, Exotic Lumber Domestic Lumber, Thin Wood

B & B Rare Woods: Dyed Veneers - THICK - large sheets, less waste for multiple blanks.

http://www.wood-veneers.com/

Between these two sources, you can easily assembly stuff like my last few chevrons. I really like the thicker veneers and different colors at B & B. Sometimes they are sold out of some colors. But if you are making a series of blanks, I have less waste buying the larger sheets. And the thicker veneers have several advantages.

Last edited:

greenacres2

Midwest Products is a model maker house that carries 1/16" and 1/32" thick balsa, basswood and a few hardwoods. https://midwestproducts.com/collections/hardwoods (they are a client of my employer, but I have no direct contact or interest--I just find it to be a pretty cool little business mostly because I learned about them first by buying something of theirs from an Amazon vendor...and was shocked when I got the package listing the manufacturer as being 15 miles from home!!)
earl

farmer

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Midwest Products is a model maker house that carries 1/16" and 1/32" thick balsa, basswood and a few hardwoods. https://midwestproducts.com/collections/hardwoods (they are a client of my employer, but I have no direct contact or interest--I just find it to be a pretty cool little business mostly because I learned about them first by buying something of theirs from an Amazon vendor...and was shocked when I got the package listing the manufacturer as being 15 miles from home!!)
earl

Yes, Midwest is also fine. Mal has summarized a nice group. These are a very good start for anyone exploring segmenting, veneers, inlays, etc. Have at it!

jttheclockman

If the op decides to come back to look at answers which is probably not going to happen but any material can be used for segmenting, You can make your own veneers, use thin plastic cards, metals of all sorts, plastics from various vendors, dyed veneers from various vendors, papers or card stock from hobby lobby, cast your own acrylics or use pen blanks and cut to size so the list is endless. Now if the op will narrow down what they want to do then all those links to vendors play a roll and if not they are just that list of vendors. Always helps to know what the intent is when asking a question.

Aces-High

Thanks for the great links!

John, there was a thread that was created a while ago on segmenting materials and websites. I just thought I would come back to it, but I could not find it. Maybe it was under a different heading. So the Question was, did someone remember that thread. That Mal, Mark, Earl and Farmer took the time to respond and suggest what they know was very kind and what I have grown to know from these guys, and this group in general.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the great links!

John, there was a thread that was created a while ago on segmenting materials and websites. I just thought I would come back to it, but I could not find it. Maybe it was under a different heading. So the Question was, did someone remember that thread. That Mal, Mark, Earl and Farmer took the time to respond and suggest what they know was very kind and what I have grown to know from these guys, and this group in general.

Jason I know that was a shot across the bow at me and that is fine. But this question was asked over 2 weeks ago. Where were they with their fine answers back then. ???? Farmer has returned from a long layoff from the site and is going through some older posts that have an interest to him and if he did not happen to read this and respond I believe this question would have gone unanswered. Enough about that. By the way you may have gotten more response if posted in the segmenting forum. Just saying it maybe possible.

I did not see the thread you are talking about but I do not visit as often so I may have missed it. I know of this thread http://www.penturners.org/forum/f179/sheet-acrylic-segmenting-153003/
Maybe you can remember what the general topic was about the thread that you seek and we can help find it. As for a complete list of vendors for segmenting material is nothing I have ever seen. Maybe we should make one. Here are some past threads that may help jog the memory and many different interesting threads about segmenting that I am sure have many vendors listed for those particular needs. http://www.penturners.org/forum/sitemap/f-179.html

What is it you want to try to do so the list can be more direct instead of trying to list all the places that segmenting material can be bought?? As I said there is so much different materials that can be used and there are lots of places you can buy them. The places that were just given is just the beginning.

Another point is there are so many different ways to make a segmented blank and this can determine where to buy materials to.

Last edited:

Aces-High

Thanks John. I really couldnt tell if you were mad at me for asking. Was just kinda confused.

Thanks for your advice, and links to the other posts.

ATM I am doing/learning the Gisi style of segmenting, so I am looking for a more cost effective thin segmenting material, knowing that the "Gisi strips" are kinda expensive...
I wonder if anyone has discovered a way to acquire "gift card" sheets before they are made into gift cards. Styrene is good too, I was just given a huge sheet of green styrene that I am going to try.

As always I appreciate the advise of those who have doing this much longer than me.

Jason

jttheclockman

Jason I am always interested in segmenting I was one of the people who pestered Jeff into getting the Segmenting forum up and running. You mention the Gisi type segmenting. This is being displayed by many people and in fact there are people now making molds so that you can pour your own resin colors. If interested in those molds look for people who sell them or vendors that sell those products. Those vendors are listed here. I can link if you like. These molds are being made from the new artform of 3D printing. Quite afew are popping up now that technology is getting cheaper.

Again doing segmenting like that you can use wood veneers, acrylics of all kinds, if you have the tools you can cut and slice your own from various materials. pic guard material has been used alot as well as many of the Spectraply woods being sold by many vendors here. Metals can be added.

I will throw this out there and you can believe me or not but when using wood and mixing species can cause expansion and contraction problems. All materials do not move at the same rate. Wood will continue to move even though you seal with CA. I bring this up because I have done pens with mix woods and over time you can feel ridges,(ever so slight but none the less ) When I finished them they were as smooth as a babies bottom. Have seen many times here the question of why my blank cracked?? Well this could be one reason wood moves.

Hopefully if you have further questions they get answered quicker. :)

Gregf

Thanks John. I really couldnt tell if you were mad at me for asking. Was just kinda confused.

Thanks for your advice, and links to the other posts.

ATM I am doing/learning the Gisi style of segmenting, so I am looking for a more cost effective thin segmenting material, knowing that the "Gisi strips" are kinda expensive...
I wonder if anyone has discovered a way to acquire "gift card" sheets before they are made into gift cards. Styrene is good too, I was just given a huge sheet of green styrene that I am going to try.

As always I appreciate the advise of those who have doing this much longer than me.

Jason

Search Amazon for pvc cards. You can get 100 blank cards for around $13.

Aces-High

Thanks Greg. I will get in touch with some of those companies and see if they can do a special order of large sheets. Doesn't hurt to ask.

beck3906

Many years ago, there was a group buy of various types of laminated materials with b/w/b, b/w, blue/white, etc., where the person running the group buy bought large sheets and trimmed them to a size that could maximize the yield at a reasonable cost peri item

May be time time to consider another group buy.

Aces-High

Many years ago, there was a group buy of various types of laminated materials with b/w/b, b/w, blue/white, etc., where the person running the group buy bought large sheets and trimmed them to a size that could maximize the yield at a reasonable cost peri item

May be time time to consider another group buy.

I wonder who did that group buy, and where they got the materials from...

farmer

Segmenting

You need to match the materials thickness to the cut width of your saw blade .
The blade on my slitting saw is .037.
The veneers I buy are 037 .

Top Bottom