Segmenting howto's....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DennisM

There are some great segmented pens out there, from the simple to the extream.

I am trying to figure out how to do some of these myself, but for some reason, I am not as smart as I thought I was, and am unable to figure out how to layout some of them, or how to make the jigs for the cuts.

I know there is a great celtic knot jig plan and I am working on figuring out how to make that one.

Is there any howtos or glue up pics of some other ones I could look at to get ideas?

I am finding out that wood and large acrylic pieces are a PITA to finish. DMHIKT...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RAdams

Banned
I found a really simple design for a frame miter sled for the tablesaw.

http://www.turnedwood.com/framesled.html

Here is a picture of my first version.

So far, I have only used mine to make one test ring, but it came out pretty darn close for a first try at segmenting with a brand new sled, and a cheapo tool from Harbor Freight. I will soon venture deep into the realm of segmented work. I plan to find out the current record for most segments in a pen, and DOUBLE IT! I have this dream of a single pen blank made from 1,000 segs.

Attachments

• 1_miter_sled.JPG
    1_miter_sled.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:

rherrell

Dennis, send me your email address. I have a WHOLE bunch of photos that I took of my segmenting process, way too many to post here.:wink:

RAdams

Banned
ven better, anyone got a picture? There should be a gallery strictly for his work.

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
I am in the middle of gluing up a segmented blank that will approach the 1000 different pieces. Lots of sticky fingers...LOL.....

If you let me know what you are looking to do, I will be happy to talk to you about your design and potentially ways to accomplish the design you are looking for.

Good luck, and lets see some pictures!

DennisM

I am in the middle of gluing up a segmented blank that will approach the 1000 different pieces. Lots of sticky fingers...LOL.....

If you let me know what you are looking to do, I will be happy to talk to you about your design and potentially ways to accomplish the design you are looking for.

Good luck, and lets see some pictures!

Thanks for the offer. Do not really have an idea yet, well a couple but nothing to fancy, was mostly looking for the advice on glue ups and assemble, so I know how to start making the jigs..

darrylm

Dennis & Rojo - I like the way you two think!

I've always been inspired by Eagles work and want to continue pushing myself in the way he did. I've just rebuilt my table saw sled to allow for smaller segments (4 time smaller than previously) and should be turning my first piece today that includes some.

Top Bottom