Segmented Swirl Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mengtian

Mengtian

Was experimenting and made a blank from Cherry, Wenge, and Maple. I rushed the finish. Otherwise I was happy with the making of the blank.

Attachments

• 20151111_195405.jpg
    20151111_195405.jpg
    149.8 KB · Views: 329
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mengtian

Good balance in the segmenting. Subtle in the attraction to me.
Thanks. It was an impromptu affiar:) I went into my workshop and just started cutting. Just curious what it would look like. There are some flaws/mistakes which can't be seen from the pic.

1: I did not sand the blank well after cutting the curves. That meant saw marks. Saw marks= gaps. So there are two spots that have gaps that appear on a turned pen as little holes. Not noticable on a table top glue up but noticable on a pen.

2: The Maple slices were put on the blank too far to the ends of the blank. So when it was turned for a slimline you can't see th emaple since it is now gone. The only place you can see it is under the clip.

I am going to perfect it this weekend. Might use venneer to give more subtle curves.

Mengtian

You will be much happier if you can cut the blanks with a scroll saw. No sanding required. Don't make the curves to sharp or the veneer will break during glue up.

I have an Excalibur 21. I was just winging it at the time so I used the band saw (my scroll saw had too much stuff to move off the top :)

I am going to use the scroll saw next.

Thanks

terry q

You will be much happier if you can cut the blanks with a scroll saw. No sanding required. Don't make the curves to sharp or the veneer will break during glue up.

I have an Excalibur 21. I was just winging it at the time so I used the band saw (my scroll saw had too much stuff to move off the top :)

I am going to use the scroll saw next.

Thanks

If it helps I cut my blanks with a #6 skip tooth blade.

Top Bottom