Segmented Pens - Black accent strips?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmyers4

I've seen some beautiful segmented pens people on this forum have made. Often the segments are seperated by a thin black strip. What do you use for the black strips - thin slices of ebony? Or do you use some other material?

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rojo22

Local Chapter Leader
You can use ebony. One of the secrets to the "even thin strips" is to use veneers. You can get maple or other dyed woods that you can use for separation woods. Some people use guitar pick material, credit cards, aluminum can metal, and other stuff for separation strips as well...Heck I dont think there is anything here we wont glue up and turn......

randbcrafts

The one on the front page I used maple dyed veneer. I think it came from the local woodcraft. I think you get 4 or 5 pieces per pack so for pens it goes a pretty long ways.

jdmyers4

The emperor on the front page with the segmented Malachite is truly one gorgeous pen. You did a wonderful job on that pen! Indeed, it was that pen that got me to wondering about the thin black strips. Very crisp lines.

Thank you both for the replies.

John

Texatdurango

Originally posted by randbcrafts
<br />The one on the front page I used maple dyed veneer. I think it came from the local woodcraft. I think you get 4 or 5 pieces per pack so for pens it goes a pretty long ways.
Not to sidetrack the thread but that is probably the nicest segmented pen I have seen yet! I think the choice of materials could not have complimented each other more.

George

randbcrafts

Thanks for the compliments you guys. I was very happy how it turned out. It was the first real segmented pen I have done and it made me really want to get into doing some more like it.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I like to turn dark woods - and thin brass plates make beautiful accent when used on a gold pen. The brass that I use is thin enough (.5mm) that it is often difficult, without close inspection, to tell that it is not gold.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom