Segmented Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Youngturner101

I have been doing a lot of research on segmented bowls because I want to turn one at school this semester. I know about the different angle sizes with how many pieces you want, the only concern I have is the height and how wide should the next ring be? Is it personal preference depending on the kind of bowl being made? I think I am wanting to make a cookie jar type turning with a cool design I found in a video online. Would I just stack the rings on top and not make each piece in the next section longer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bob Wemm

I am not an expert in segmenting, but from what I understand, you make each ring to match your basic design or contour. If you are making a straight sided vessel then all the rings would be basically the same size, stacked on top of each other. If the shape calls for contours in the walls then your rings would have to be bigger or smaller to follow the planned contour. Obviously there will need to be an allowance for turning, so the rings need to be bigger than the finished size.
Hope this helps.
Bob.

hjdiamond2

There are several programs that you can run on your pc that will either draw a bowl or give you the angles that you need for each ring, the length and thickness,One is woodturners studio another is segmented project planner. Just do a google search. Hope this helps.
Harry

jcm71

When I started turning about 35 yrs ago, I bought a book (I think through Shopsmith) called Creative Woodturning, by Dale Nish. I still have several segmented bowls around the house that I made using his methods which are still in great shape. Try to get a copy of it, read it, digest it, and then go to town. Good luck.

Top Bottom