Segmented Alternate Ivory and Logwood Burl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from wizard

wizard

Finished this A.M. It's a segmented project on a 22K Gold/ Rhodium Jr. Statesman Fountain Pen. The materials are Alternate Ivory from Exotic Blanks along with a complimentary Logwood Burl from them. Segmented, glued together and turned it to near completion yesterday morning. Thought I would make it with a single closed end. SteveG mentioned that Logwood Burl turns darker and redder if you let it sit in the sun. He was right. Prior to finishing this A.M., I let the cap and barrel sit out in the sun light yesterday for a while rotating it occasionally to keep the color even. Still feel like the cap got more sunlight than the barrel. Felt like I was making hot dogs :eek:. Finished with 2 coats of thin CA, 8 coats of medium CA, MM to 12000 and HUT Plastic Polish. The pen looked better on the sketch pad than when finished ...but I think it will grow on me. Anyhow, it was practice segmenting. Next, I hope will be some angles. I hope you like the pen. Comments welcome but most of all thanks for looking. Doc:)

Attachments

• Alternate Ivory and Logwood Burl Jr. Statesman_2.jpg
    Alternate Ivory and Logwood Burl Jr. Statesman_2.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 188
  • Alternate Ivory and Logwood Burl Jr. Statesman_1.jpg
    Alternate Ivory and Logwood Burl Jr. Statesman_1.jpg
    23.9 KB · Views: 175
  • Alternate Ivory and Logwood Burl Jr. Statesman.jpg
    Alternate Ivory and Logwood Burl Jr. Statesman.jpg
    22 KB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Did you design the cap the way it came out. with the lower segment larger than the top?

Whether you did or didn't it was a stoke of genius; as the design element works giving the top cap balance with its structure.

wizard

Did you design the cap the way it came out. with the lower segment larger than the top?

Whether you did or didn't it was a stoke of genius; as the design element works giving the top cap balance with its structure.

I did design the lower segment larger than the cap segment just as sketched.
Thank you for noticing!:)

terryf

Fantastic Doc, I see youre taking the Byrnes one step at a time :) I like segmenting on the cap no matter what is on the body and this is no exception - seems to be the first thing people notice although in this case the body definitely compliments the cap.
Im just not sure whether I like the difference in the size of the end pieces on the cap yet. It feels sort of unbalanced if you know what I mean? Perhaps its my left brains symmetry in over drive :)

Thanks for sharing Doc!

wizard

Fantastic Doc, I see youre taking the Byrnes one step at a time :) I like segmenting on the cap no matter what is on the body and this is no exception - seems to be the first thing people notice although in this case the body definitely compliments the cap.
Im just not sure whether I like the difference in the size of the end pieces on the cap yet. It feels sort of unbalanced if you know what I mean? Perhaps its my left brains symmetry in over drive :)

Thanks for sharing Doc!

Terry, I know what you mean with the different sized end pieces...I tried to use the longer wood end piece on the cap to enhance or accent the appearance of the longer wood section of the barrel. I'm not sure I accomplished that. Anyway, the idea seemed better as a sketch on paper than when I saw the finished product :rolleyes:.
By the way, the Byrnes saw is awesome and I'm just getting used to it. Regards, Doc

David Keller

The fit and finish are spot on as usual. I'm not sure about the color combo for my personal tastes, but I've never been accused of having great taste.

If you're continuing down the segmentation pathway, I'm assuming your looking at adding some thin metal or pick guard contrast. I've even used colored veneer with some success. I've really enjoyed watching your successful foray into pen turning.

wizard

The fit and finish are spot on as usual. I'm not sure about the color combo for my personal tastes, but I've never been accused of having great taste.

If you're continuing down the segmentation pathway, I'm assuming your looking at adding some thin metal or pick guard contrast. I've even used colored veneer with some success. I've really enjoyed watching your successful foray into pen turning.

David, Thanks! Actually I'm headed to Texas Art Supply this afternoon to get some metal tooling foil sheets and some plastic sheets for starters.:)

MartinPens

Great looking pen. I like it! Unique and classy. Thanks for sharing it. I feel inspired to get out there and turn something today.

Martin

Sent from my iPad using Forum Runner

wizard

Martin, John and David, Thank you for your kind remarks. I still have a ways to go with segmenting as far as learning techniques. I have so many questions...been spending time in the IAP Library. I'm going to try accents and figure out how to do scallops. I'm trying to determine the gauges or thicknesses of aluminum, copper or brass that I can safely use in segmenting so I don't heat up drill bits and destroy the glue bond between segments. If any one knows of any other articles or publications that might help teach segmenting, I would truly appreciate knowing. Doc

Top Bottom