See through blank

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Chatham PenWorks

I got some of these from CSUSA a while ago, knowing I had some figuring to do to get the drilled hole looking anything close to presentable. I think I got it. I'm happy with the results. :) Hope you guys like it.

C & C welcome.

e3423da30b50bda71af618507d86545f.jpg

0949ff6e6883ddd7055fdd2490891ec8.jpg

72c39ea1cae4b58c1b2a80255b8fd33c.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

I am working on a pen with a similar blank right now, at the turning stage. The painted interior hole is not quite ready for prime time. What did you do to produce such a nice surface and finish on the interior of the hole?

crabcreekind

Great pen. I could never get the clear pens to look very good.

You can get a wire brush and put it in a drill. Then run it in and out of the hole

I am working on a pen with a similar blank right now, at the turning stage. The painted interior hole is not quite ready for prime time. What did you do to produce such a nice surface and finish on the interior of the hole?

I finished the intside very much like the outside. I glued a few grades of MM to some thin punches, and chucked them in the lathe. Finised with some polish and some old t shirt wrapped around another punch.

I think the most important step though, was in the drilling. I used a sharp drill, worked slowly, and watered the hole often. This kept the bit from heating up, and melting the blank as it drilled.

SteveG

Thanks for the feedback for the surface finish of the hole. Is there an insert or did you paint the hole...I really cannot tell. If you painted, can you throw out the details on that too?. My pen is a "Princess" ballpoint, painted on the inside, and that is mostly where my problems exist. It is hard to get a perfect paint job inside there, and the clear blank puts a magnifying glass right on the flaws.
Steve

Brooks803

Love the pen. Very nice finish work on the interior.

You can get a wire brush and put it in a drill. Then run it in and out of the hole

Or you can run the brush through the blank right after you drilled it on the lathe. No real difference in end product, but it saves you a few minutes.

Love the pen. Very nice finish work on the interior.

Or you can run the brush through the blank right after you drilled it on the lathe. No real difference in end product, but it saves you a few minutes.

Thats how you get yours looking like they do? A wire brush?

Hexhead

I always wanted to do that but never got started because I figured the hole would always be messed up. You sure prove that wrong, and looks great and thanks for sharing.

joefyffe

Passed Away Aug 19, 2018
In Memoriam
I've met a couple angels, in my time, who were a little wirey, Maybe the wire is actually angel hair!!!

Wire brush? That's a new one on me, and I have to ask. What kind of a wire brush could you run through clear plastic and NOT leave scratches?

A very special wire brush:biggrin:

Top Bottom