Sedona

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from VisExp

VisExp

Dressed in bloodwood with brass inlays. My first try at a lacquer finish.

Your comments and critiques are appreciated.

2008511213048_ACT_6578_small.jpg

2008511213117_ACT_6583_small.jpg

2008511213136_ACT_6588-small.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kirkfranks

Absolutely excellent. Just excellent.
I saw the picture on the recently posted and was waiting for you to post so I could leave a comment.

I cannot tell much about the lacquer finish from the pictures...so it must be clear at least.

Oh and great job getting things to line up with the cap posted on both ends. I know how hard that is to do.

Can you tell me how thick is the brass sheet you used?

Thanks for showing.

alphageek

Former Moderator
Wow! Thats one of the most beautiful pens I've seen in a long time. Front page material for sure!

I can't imagine you getting much critique on this one.

OKLAHOMAN

Keith, I'm not to sure, need to see it real close up, I'll PM my address and then I'll be able to critique it proper.:D[}:)];)

thetalbott4

I dont comment on a lot of pens, but this one made me say,"WOW". Cant see a flaw or anything to do different. You can give yourself tennis elbow patting yourself on the back.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
This is amazing ! I have no idea what is involved in making a pen like this , but would like to learn about it . It's just fantastic , what you guys can do with your equipment and knowledge . Thanks for sharing this one Keith !

VisExp

Thanks very much for all the kind comments everyone :)

Originally posted by kirkfranks

Can you tell me how thick is the brass sheet you used?

Kirk, I used 29 gauge brass which is .012" thick.

Originally posted by OKLAHOMAN

Keith, I'm not to sure, need to see it real close up, I'll PM my address and then I'll be able to critique it proper.:D[}:)];)

Roy, want to trade for some snake skin or Florentine blanks :D

Originally posted by gerryr

What kind of lacquer did you use?

Gerry, I used Cabot brushing lacquer, super clear gloss.

Originally posted by Glass Scratcher

Fantastic! I hope you bring it to the meeting. I'd like to get an up close look.

Charles, I will show it to you this evening.

Originally posted by brokenbit

Keith supper job, dose the cap line up on all 6 sides. The pen looks like something Eagle made a few years ago. I think he called it Simwave

Brokenbit, the blank is just a four sided blank. You are correct regarding the similarity to some of Eagles designs. We've exchanged e-mails and it is similar to his Sine Wave pen.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/photo_album_view.asp?cname=Main+Album&mid=1066&cid=1143&page=2#
(1st column, second row)

http://www.penturners.org/forum/top...OPIC_ID=18824&SearchTerms=blood,wood,aluminum

In my opinion both of his pens are more complex and introduce an element of art to the technical that I am still striving for. I get a lot of inspiration from Eagles work.

Roy_Quast

Keith....VERY impressive. How thick was your blank of bloodwood before you started to cut it up to inlay the brass? Also, what size scroll saw blade did you use to cut the blank?
Roy

VisExp

Originally posted by Roy_Quast

Keith....VERY impressive. How thick was your blank of bloodwood before you started to cut it up to inlay the brass? Also, what size scroll saw blade did you use to cut the blank?
Roy

Roy, the blank was a standard 3/4" by 3/4". I use a # 2 scrollsaw blade which is 0.010" thick, the same thickness as the 30 gauge brass sheet.
I buy my blades from Mike's Workshop and used the FD-P No. 2/0

http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

bitshird

What a nice pen, very well done form what I can see, Eagle sure has inspired some creative undertakings, I wish I could figure out how you folks do it. :):):):)

VisExp

I realised I gave Roy the wrong information and could not edit my reply as more than 24 hours had passed. I got confused between this blank and the blank I am currently working on [:I][:I]

Originally posted by VisExp

Originally posted by Roy_Quast

Roy

Roy, the blank was a standard 3/4" by 3/4". I use a <s># 2</s> # 1 scrollsaw blade which is <s>0.010"</s> 0.012" thick, the same thickness as the <s>30</s> 29 gauge brass sheet.
I buy my blades from Mike's Workshop and used the <s>FD-P No. 2/0</s> FD-P No. 1
http://www.mikesworkshop.com/blades.htm

Top Bottom